Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hello all again,
just put air cleaner back on before riding, started, died couple times seemed weird, started again, revved it up and got to end of drive when died again. pushed back home cause when switch on no red light/neutral light and hitting started switch did nothing. Found main fuse burnt in two. just for grins if put a ink pen spring in place of the main fuse, simply turned on switch and it burnt in two.
my guess would be that air cleaner box shorted out against the resistor on right coil.
considering I just got it running great before this,
Should I assume that there is a short that caused main fuse to burn out??:(

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Might just be that its 30 years old and needed a break.,,

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

If a fuse burns out (or blows)it is logical to assume something overloaded (shorted out) it. Look for wires pinched from what you were just working on.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

I'll go with the old age gambit on this one too.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

So R U saying the fuse was just old and worn out.. What about it burning the ink pen spring in 1 second with only the switch on? Only being curious before I tear into it tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
10,276 Posts
imported post

What about checking for a pinched wire, then trying again, only this time with a real fuse?

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I looked around for pinched wires, have not found any. I am curious if anyone else has had a short between the Air cleaner body and the right coil resistor? I can see a spot on the right side of the coil where something has been rubbing for a while. almost a hole there. I am thinking the nose of the air cleaner body has been pushing against the resistor and it in turn has rubbed on the coil,,
the only thing I did today prior to riding was putting the air cleaner & Air cleaner body back in.
Update: it was shorting out against the resistor. I glued on some rubber hose to the nose end of air box and will try putting back in tomorrow.
Thanks to all who read and replied. Guess I am gonna use a plastic tie to tie the resistor up also.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

age.... been there done that

however, on a wing of our "olde-wings" age, does it hurt to clean and check all of connectors? actually, it is a very good idea.....

did someone mention belts?:cooldevil:

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

rcmatt007 wrote:
age.... been there done that

however, on a wing of our "olde-wings" age, does it hurt to clean and check all of connectors? actually, it is a very good idea.....

did someone mention belts?:cooldevil:
Hey Rodger,
Happy Thanksgiving to you and yours. Thanks for the response.. In order to drive the bike home from Kansas where I got it, I had to cap 3 of the main wires cause they were burnt in the connector. I still need to do more of the cleaning you mentioned. Dingdong and others have given me the old evil eye about not doing the belts yet. That (hopefully) will be my next project. I was online last night checking prices. $16 +postage at Rockauto... I hope to find them for a reasonable price locally however. I need to go to the auto store anyway cause she started running out of gas yesterday because the fuel filter is plugged up a little. She won't run fast for long, but when I stopped and let her rest a minute, or even just slow down for a minute she picks back up.. I almost got depressed when the fuse blew, however as soon as I put the new edge holder and fuse in (and removed the Air Box) and she started right up, I was smiling again.. Thanks again Rodger, hope to meet some day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.