Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I also notice, While at an idle on the center stand, I pull in the clutch depress the rear brake a little and shift the bike into gear while running.

The shifter does not have a return spring action and I manually (with my toe) have to lift up on the shifter lever after going into any gear up or down.

main question is, Is there some kind of safety lever on the bike while the bike is up on the center stand to keep me from running the rear tire in higher gears?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Nope!

·
Premium Member
270 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

So, Would this mean the engine needs pulling and tore into now also? Can I do this with the motor in the frame?

It would be the shift fork right?

Push down to first, Pick shifter up with foot since ther seems to be no spring back. pull up to second and push shifter back to normal spot. Doesnt seem to want to shift too well.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the internal spring has gone, you will have to pull the engine and split the case to get at it I believe. Hang on a bit, I'm sure someone with more knowledge of your model will chime in soon.:waving:

·
Premium Member
620 Posts
imported post

The shift spring you refering to is in the front trans cover you dont have to pull the engine just drain the oil and coolent Its the big cover that the water pump and oil filter screw on to once the covers is off you should be able to see the spring

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

when you pull the front cover (also called the tranmission cover) be aware that you will have an awful time with the phillips head screws and will probably need an impact driver to get them loose.
While you are there, if you've never changed the water pump you might as well do it. Aftermarket O-rings often do not fit well and you may get some leaks.
One more piece of advice, get on e-bay and purchase a stanless allen-wrench bolt kit and use those to put the cover back on.
okay, one more, if youv'e not changed the cam belts, migt as well wihile you are doing everything else.
a day in the rain on my bike beats a good day at work anytime!
rodger

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

I've been wondering a lot about changing the belt tensioners also. The grease in these, now at 25 to 30 years of age is practically non-existant. If these things weren't built so beafy they would fail way more often.

I've bought a few off of EBay, but they were as dry as my originals.

Does Honda still sell them for 1000 and 1100's???

Jim

·
Premium Member
72 Posts
imported post

ps--

I did the gaskets and o-rings on the front filter/trany casings and you may also need to use some oxy-acetylene to form a couple of "special" ends for the impact screwdriver...

Anywhooo- do be sure to toss those old screws and get some hex or allen screws with coppper no-sieze!!

Jim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.