Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After attempting to rebuild my gl1000 carbs for the third time I have given up - runs okay - but the gas mileage is horrific. I have bought a single carb conversion manifold & carb - unfortunately came with no instruction. I am wondering about the electric choke setup -how to wire it? Or should I just hook up a manual choke to it. Also looks like a pre heater or something like that at the bottom of the carb - is that needed? I will only be running it in warm weather. Any instructions / advice would be appreciated.

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
I think a manual choke will be easier to hook up and deal with, then trying to figure out a electric choke setup.,,

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
A picture of your conversion would help in my opinion.
Too many conversions out there for a simple answer ...from me, anyway.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks - I will try to get some photos on tomorrow - I am a little technically challenged - I have them on my i-phone and can send as e-mails - not quite sure how to put them on here. Would try to figure it out today - but the wife just pulled in with the truck - am going out to figure out how to replace the cv joint in an Avalanche - I probably wont be back on forum till tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,194 Posts
Electric choke

I'm assuming the carb already has an electric choke with a male spade connector on it.

All I did is run a wire that's hot when the ignition is on and a ground wire to the carb body. I used the acc. terminals under the fuse cover for my 12V source.

Worked fine.

Rayjoe

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It is a VW type carb - I did buy on E-Bay - new set up. Went back & looked at the listing - and it was supposed to include instructions - seller must have missed them - I have asked him to send them - so I should be on the road soon. Thanks for the info on electric choke - just what I needed - I should be able to get that done now - just figure out the heat element - I would think that I should be able to run the choke and heat element on seperate fuse - I hope I've made the right choice. Just spent way too much down time with carb issues - just want to get some road time in.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
Heater at bottom of carb? Is it the solenoid on the VW34-3pict carb u are calling a heater? Just asking.....If it is, just run a jumper wire from choke to solenoid.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
Too late now but sending your carbs to be redone professionally like to Pistol Pete not cheap but cheaper than most single carb set ups.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
Too late now but sending your carbs to be redone professionally like to Pistol Pete not cheap but cheaper than most single carb set ups.
BS, RB.
We've a sticky thread saying different.
It is too late now, ...but assembling his own from that thread would've been cheaper than what he bought.

But you're right about a Pro being the expensive route.

·
Premium Member
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks DKL - it is a VW 34 carb- the little brass colored doodad at the bottom is a solenoid? I was unsure on that. As to sending the current carbs off to an expert - I followed the book - twice had them apart, installed new parts with limited success. I then took them to a friend who is factory trained Suzuki mechanic - he went through them - and while they do run slightly better than when I did them - gas mileage is ridiculous. I explored the option of sending them off to " an expert" but the lowest cost I found was over $600 in canada , in US about $800 canadian. $300 for a new VW carb and manifold seems more reasonable to me - I have already spent way more than that on parts etc for the originals with no success. I had a $1000 bike - that ran pretty good when I got it - it only has 40,000 miles on it - but I have reached the end of what I want to spend on it. If the VW carb thing works - I will likely get several more years of enjoyable travel out of it. If not I will pull the old 750 back into daily use - those carbs have given me no grief at all.

·
Premium Member
359 Posts
If ur after a daily rider, the VW set-up will serve you well, be reliable, and have more torguey fun......If u want to set a speed record at the salt flats do something else.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.