Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
ok. so im messing the points and timing. i realize that i have to get the point gaps tolerance between .012 to .016. thats easy enough, but i cant wrap my head around timing the darn thing. i line up the F1 mark and that is for cylinder 1 and 2. now should the points for cylinder 1 and 2 be open or closed. or should they be closed? and vise versa for the F2 mark? and how would i go about adjusting the timing? does it have something to do with the base plate? i just dont know where to do, need some help.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
When you set the timing the points are just starting to open, (just break contact). You can do it with the switch off. Connect a test light to the + battery terminal and to the wire on the points, the light should be on. Turn the engine slowly and when the light goes off the points have opened and that is the firing point. This can also be done with the key on and the light connected to - and the points and the light will come on when the points open but I always preferred the "switch off" method. That should happen just as the F1 mark (F2 doing the 3-4 set) lines up with the mark on the case. You adjust it by moving the backing plate. Read this tip from Randakks, it should help.
http://www.randakks.com/TechTip7.htm

·
Premium Member
688 Posts
Nice tip, Dave. I missed that one. Straight from the battery will keep the coils from overheating.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.