Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hi,
Got the bike running nicely at idle, timed with light, carbs synched. Then i washed it and it started to run crappy, hesitating, like retarded timing, but with sputtering/backfire. Would water have entered the fuel system to cause this after washing?? So frustrating, was running great. I had the tank almost empty after washing, so put some techron in to evaporate any water, and ran off the fuel in the floats before refueling.

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

If the cap was properly fitted to the fuel then it's hard to se how water got in. More likely you got water on the coils or pulg leads. Spray WD40 or other water repellant over the electrics and try again.

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Pull the rubber boot off that holds the 2 plug boots, and you'll see some water caught under the boots. There are some drain holes that clog easily. Once the holes clog water has nowhere to go and drowns out and shorts out the plugs. All's fine once it dries out.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

And just run a small stiff wire down the hole to unclog it. May need to get to it from top and bottom.

Raymond

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

thanks for your help. Since washing problems, i have ridden the bike 10-15 miles and still hasn't cleared up. I pulled the plug caps and the plug wells were dry, though didn't look inside cap boots themselves. Could water stay on caps/wires/coils for a couple of days, even after running?

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Try a little Heet or other water absorbant in the fuel. If the engine was warm when you washed it, it's possible you got condensation in the intakes which got into the carbs. In our humid climate it's not impossible. It seem to me that any water that got into the ignition system should have dried out by now since you have been running it. How about he ignition system, this bike has points doesn't it? It might be worth taking a look there.

:waving:

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Thanks for your comments. Please see my followup post, re: tuning solved. I re-checked (electronic) ignition timing, carb sync, and adjusted idle screws, also sprayed electrics with wd-40. Runs much better now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.