Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 78 wing wont steer straight ahead,the whole time I`m riding I have to pull back on the right side of thehandle bar.If I ease my grip on the right side and lean to theright the bike will go a little straighter.
After checking the axle,wheel,forks and clamps for correct alignment I`m starting to wonder if its me and not the bike that is the problem.
Any help would begreatly appreciated as I love riding this bike.
This site is a great find
Cheerskiwikid

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Hi kiwikid. It sounds like you have checked the main items. I'd suggest checking the wheel bearings next and also the steering head bearings for play. Also check the frame for kinks in case the bike has ever been crashed and teh frame bent as that can lead to odd riding experiences!:waving:

·
Senior Guru
3,589 Posts
imported post

I would look at the steering head forst, check for play in the bearings. A rough spot in the bearings would cause a pull.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

like the others check the steering head bearings, mine wore a rough spot and had to be replaced. you can put the bike on the center stand, jack up the front end and feel how the steering goes through the range of motion.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

;)Hi Jason

Thanks for the advice,will check the items you suggest

Cheers kiwikid ;)

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Kiwikid wrote:
My 78 wing wont steer straight ahead,the whole time I`m riding I have to pull back on the right side of thehandle bar.If I ease my grip on the right side and lean to theright the bike will go a little straighter.
Any help would begreatly appreciated as I love riding this bike.
This site is a great find
Cheerskiwikid
:waving:Welcome to the BEST GOLDWING WEBSITE in the Known World!:waving:

You didn't mention whether this bike has a fairing or saddlebags. If it does is there any chance the fairing is shifted a bit or there's any unbalanced weight in the fairing or saddlebag? If you do have saddlebags and/or a fairing have you tried the bike without them.

How about the fork springs and swing arm pivots. It would seem that if there's any significant difference in the fork springs or other fork internals this might be a problem.Slop in the swing arm pivots could create a problem.

:waving::15red::waving:

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Hi Paul

Thanks for the info,my bike is completely naked so no problems there but I will check the other items you suggest

kiwikid

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.