Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have had this bike back on the road after a 2 year restoring project. The bike fires right up and runs very good going down the road, but at idle it makes a chirping noise from the right side of the engine. When I was setting the bike up I acidentally got the timing out of wack and had actually had the bike running like that for very short times. I was wondering if the noise I'm hearing could be a bent valve? Also I get some popping from the exhaust on both sides at idle. Could this be from the same thing or could it be that I don't have the carbs balanced? thanks in advance.

:?:?:?:?

·
Premium Member
153 Posts
imported post

"chirping" can be from the idler/tension pulleys - but it can come from leaks in either the intake or exhaust. Try to get your hands on a stethescope to isolate where the noise comes from

yes the puffs and chuffs can come from mis-synchronized carbs... and it can come from intake leaks too (running too lean). Might not hurt to check the intake o-rings under the carb runners (curved alum tubes)

good luck!!

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Ok, thanks a lot. The o-rings are all new and so are the carbs. I have 1100 carbs on it, but they are jetted for the 1000. I thought that might have been some of the problem, but rulled it out. I called and talked with the guy that rebuilt them. I was thinking the chirping sounded like it was coming from the from of the engine, but could not be sure. I think I'm going to try the old screwdriver trick. I have a friend that wrks on bikes and he said that he thought the carbs may be maladjusted, but he works on Harleys, so kind of bucked that off, but he may have been right. I'm going to get out tomorrow and tinker a little and see if i can figure it out and Sunday is a ride day. First decent day NC has had in a month and I'm going to take advantage of it.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

How exactly was it off timing.
I found out by trial and error that the engine can run 180 degrees off timing without interfearing.
It will run like crap though.

asl long as you turned the engine by hand before starting her up to feel fopr binding then you should be alright.
If there was interfearance you would surely here it the first crank.
Listen up front by the belts , the tensioner pulley may be on its way out in which case you should change quickly to avoid engine damage caused by a busted belt.
does the sound get louder under load / high rpms.

·
Premium Member
261 Posts
imported post

Try a compression test. If you have a bent valve the compression will be lower. If you ran it and the timing was off you may have bent the valve, lets hope not. If the valve is bent it will pop and huff through the exaust or carb.

It can also come from the carbs being off. The chriping may be the bent valve or the pulleys as tomswift99 stated. I hope for your sake it's simple. My bet it's a bent valve. The chirping may be the intake and exaust valve facesclicking as they brush each other. Best of luck to you.

·
Premium Member
1,136 Posts
imported post

I'll go against the flow and suggest a head gasket leak. The chirping you hearmay beair escaping past the gasket. Do the usual tests: compression test, examine spark plugs and visual inspection around the outside edge of the head gasket.

·
Premium Member
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

The engine runs great. As far as the engine being in a bind, it was dragging, but once it started it would not stay running on it's own. I figured out that I "was" 180 degrees out because I was timing it on the wrong mark on the flywheel. The engine basically only pops out the exhaust when it's cold. After it is warmed up, it only does it once in a while at idle. I have alredy pulled a timing cover and it was the right tensioner making the noise, but thanks anyway.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.