Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my '78 gl1000 is running rough on me. it back fires and smells like gasoline. when i accellerate it hesitates then all of a sudden catches and runs great. i just recently got the bike and it has done this from the firstride home. i've tried all i know and i'm at wits end! any help?

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

could be alot of different issues, I would suggest going to http://www.randakks.com/ he's the expert when it comes to our old wings

·
Premium Member
75 Posts
imported post

My accelerator pump circuit was leaking on my 82 I. I had similar symptoms. But it was obviously pouring fuel onto the top of the engine. Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

there is no accelerator pump on the 1000's as they were introduced on the 1100 models, but as mentioned, it could be a lot of things.

could be something as simple as the cv slides hanging up.... when you crank it on, there is enough vacum tomake a stuck one slide, but just running along, or a slow accel they can stick and the bike will run like crapola.

it is releatively simple to clean these. undo the manifolds from the heads and loosen the rubber clamp at the carbs. twist these out which will lower the carbs somewhat (good time to get new manifold O-rings). undo the screws to the caps (you will need a right angle phillips screwdriver (while there replace these screws with allen heads)). pull off the cap and slider. carefully, with a SOFT rag cleane the slider and the inside of the cap. ut it all back together

another site to check out is http://www.nakedgoldwings.com many of us are on both sites, and lots of "HOW-TO" advice for olderwings

·
Premium Member
2,848 Posts
imported post

Start off simple. New plugs properly gapped, fresh points, check timing. Then add some chemical carb cleaner. I recommend a full bottle of SeaFoam to a full tank of gas, run that out and if there is improvement do it again. After that is when you need to dig deeper.

Also if you have not already determined when the belts were changed do it now!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.