Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

After I went threw the carbs it is running great. It has been about 20 years since I have owned a shaft driven bike. I am noticing a weird noise when I accelerate past 40 mph. It sounds like an aircraft about to take off then the noisedissapears.

Also, when I am driving I am hearing a slight tick noise which I believe is coming from the ehaust. The bike runs great so far, I have only owned it for about 3 weeks.

Any comments would be great!!!

·
Administrator
26,988 Posts
imported post

Propeller or jet? If the noise is coming from between your legs then it could be from the airbox. They make quite a bit of noise on hard acceleration.
A small exhaust leak will make a ticking noise so you probably nailed that.

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

It sounds like a jet. It is a high pitched noise. Itgradually gets a higher pitch than dies back down. It probably is the air box. The noise seems to be generating from that area. Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
imported post

I agree with Dave about the airbox. I have seen old gaskets get left under the air filter which will cause a gap between the top and bottom of the airbox which makes them even louder. My 1100 ticks like crazy but it's just valve clatter. That was the hardest thing to get used to for me is all the noise the valve train makes. I came off of a big v-twin that made no engine noise but I am sure that my ticks are supposed to be there. Have you ruled that out on yours?

Jade

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll check into that but I believe the tick noise to coming from the left side exhaust.

Thanks for the input

·
Premium Member
134 Posts
imported post

I had that same jet sound the day I rode my 75 wing from portland oregon to seattle after purchasing it.It was quite loud even thru a full faced helmet.
Still don't know to this day what the the heck caused it But it was emiitting out of the speedometer.
It only did it that one time.Perhaps because the bike was in a private collection and hadn't been ridden enough and had cable to speedometer dryness.
Flatfour

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

I haven't had any major problems with the wing I bought a month ago, I was just wondering if it is normal to ride out the clutch when you have a passenger. The bike seems to lack take off power even when I am riding solo. I also noticed when I get on it the motor becomes labored around 6,500 rpms from 3rd threw 5th gear.

Any comments would be great. This bike does run good but I think I might have to tinker with the carbs?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.