Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hi Everyone

For me its bike time, just got it home from my friends house were I store it in the winter. So know I can have another thing to work on besides the house. Although I love riding my 78 gl1000.

I have been racking my brain with my volt meter reading 10-11 volts since last season. My three yellow wires were connected with push on wire connectors. I cut them out and tested the alternator, It tested with in specs. Dont ask me what my readings were because that was last yr.lol

Two yrs ago I replaced the starter and the longer of the two positve wires.

Yesterday I removed the short positive wire, the casing around it had a wearspot right through so I could see the braided wire. SoI cut casing off and gave it a good wiggle, (yes a wiggle) to get any junk out. then I shrink wrapped and reinstalled everything there.

Next I removed the starter and cleaned that out. There was about a gram of black dust inside. Reassembled and reinstalled that and all I took off to get that out. test started bike got some good readings and stopped there.

Also so I should note that I replaced the rectifyer with a rectifer/regulator last season and ended up putting the bike back tothe stock rectifyer and stock regulator. I also load tested battery at work A ok.

Today I took my readings from a cold start. I only have 24,604 miles on the odometer.

battery reading 12.46
2000 RPM 14.35
2500 RPM 15.18 @ 2500 bike volt meter read 13.25 volts
2800 RPM 15.35
biked warmed up for 10 min @ idle battery read 13.45 volts bikes volt meter read 11.25
Shut bike off battery read 12.81

Im gonna change the short positive cable with a new one, the oil , spark plugs like I do every yr and try to add another volt guage, to see if I can get better readings while riding.

Anyone with this problem or anyone that want to give his or hertwo cents will be appreciated.

Thank You Mule

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

I ahve a 78.... if your working off the oem guage.... well mine wanders.... test it against a newer guage.... maybe the problem is tha old oem gauge and nothing else....

mine seems to be 14 early on and then after while... anyway... check it against a newer guage

also check ALL connections...

you might also want to check out www.nakedgoldwings.com focused on the "olde-wings" we have

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

just saw 24K.... oh the bike is a pos... I will drive out there and if you pay me for my gas, I will take it away:)

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

I wont be giving this bike up, It will be my sons in 5 yrs when he turns 18. My neighbor passed away and i bought it off the estate for $1500. Im the second owner, right place right time

Mule

·
Premium Member
200 Posts
imported post

I'd say just ignore the bike's meter, everything is fine. Probably just corrosion in a switch or connector in the meter circuit.

Q

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

no no it is not fine..... pay me and I will take it away for you....

ignore it.... besides, we will get it running on ngw... lucky kid of yours

·
Premium Member
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

Pay you ? Well if you can get my money out of my wifes hand you deserve it. lmao

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.