Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm swapping out my coil for a neon coil pack and am almost done but I'm not sure about the ballast resistors: someone had told me to add a ballast in line with the coil power wire, i wired everything up, and was getting weak spark. I removed the ballast and tested again and the spark was much stronger, also, I noticed the original ballast that is wired into the bike was getting very hot with the key on not running. Do I need a ballast going to the coil? Is the original ballast temp normal?
Light Automotive tire Camera accessory Cameras & optics Gas
if anyone can give some guidance I would be very appreciative. Also, I have a dyna s ignition installed.

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Go on goldwingdocs.com and see if there is a write up on there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Go on goldwingdocs.com and see if there is a write up on there.

Sent from my SM-G973U1 using Tapatalk
I am the inventor of this mod, anything on gwdocs is plagiarized.
Yes, a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor is needed on a 1000 with the neon coil. And yes the ballast will get hot especially with the engine not running since one or the other points set will be closed at any time, avoid that condition. If you are running the ignition through the original wiring and getting weak spark with a ballast resistor you need to install a relay & get your ignition power direct from the battery, best to do that anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes, a 1.5 ohm ballast resistor is needed on a 1000 with the neon coil. And yes the ballast will get hot especially with the engine not running since one or the other points set will be closed at any time, avoid that condition. If you are running the ignition through the original wiring and getting weak spark with a ballast resistor you need to install a relay & get your ignition power direct from the battery, best to do that anyway.
ok. Does it matter that I have a dyna ignition and not points? also, just to be clear, you are talking about having a ballast inline with the coil power correct? What about the ballast that mounted to the oem coil? That is the one getting very hot. Thanks!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
ok. Does it matter that I have a dyna ignition and not points? also, just to be clear, you are talking about having a ballast inline with the coil power correct? What about the ballast that mounted to the oem coil? That is the one getting very hot. Thanks!
Below is the oem resistor that is 1.5 ohms. I left it wired in, second is one I bought to wired in line with the coil power. It is measuring about 2.2 ohms. Maybe I got the wrong one. Maybe it's resistance is to high
Hand Finger Nail Thumb Auto part
Hand Automotive tire Finger Gesture Thumb

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
Are you sure of those resistance measurements, or were they measured with a meter which could easily be wrong? If you have both resistors in series it is too much resistance, use 1 or the other. I think the Dyna ignition acts just like points so it would be grounding the coil when the engine is off, key on.

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
Dave is correct,
the Dyna is just simply a MOSFET Transistor that is taking the place of the normal Contacts.

the only advantage to it that I see is:

1) no points contacts to burn
2) if the engine is NOT running, the Dyna will do nothing, it will not ground the coil circuit.
3) since there are no point contacts to burn, it should be a Permanent Solution; barring some wiring is not crossed up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Are you sure of those resistance measurements, or were they measured with a meter which could easily be wrong? If you have both resistors in series it is too much resistance, use 1 or the other. I think the Dyna ignition acts just like points so it would be grounding the coil when the engine is off, key on.
I measured with my meter, as far as I can tell it's accurate. They're are not on series, at least I don't think. The one that was already on the bike is attached to a black wire wrapped in fabric which looks like it loops around to the kill switch so maybe it is already resisting to the coil. I feel like I'm making this more complicated than it is, just don't wanna burn anything up, it's my only bike!

·
Administrator
Piaggio MP3, was 02 GL1800
61,630 Posts
if the existing resistor is looping up to the Kill Switch, it is already in Series with the Coil.

if you add another resistor, the spark will be too weak for the engine to run properly

pull one of the Plugs out of a cylinder.

use one of them plugged into a spark plug wire,
Hold that loose plug grounded against the engine block.

crank the engine over and observe the Spark flame.
Is it Nice and FAT?

if it is thin and puny, there is too much resistance in-series with the coils.

for this test, make sure the battery is at full 13.6 volts charge.
if it is at 12.4ish you will get a non-valid test

·
Administrator
27,898 Posts
I measured with my meter, as far as I can tell it's accurate. They're are not on series, at least I don't think. The one that was already on the bike is attached to a black wire wrapped in fabric which looks like it loops around to the kill switch so maybe it is already resisting to the coil. I feel like I'm making this more complicated than it is, just don't wanna burn anything up, it's my only bike!
If you don't want to burn anything up put a relay in & just use the power from the kill switch to trigger the relay. Then run from the relay through a 1.5 ohm resistor, (spec not measured) to the coil.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
If you don't want to burn anything up put a relay in & just use the power from the kill switch to trigger the relay. Then run from the relay through a 1.5 ohm resistor, (spec not measured) to the coil.
Well so much for that. While test firing I accidentally shorted the coil power to one of the coil bank wires and now that bank isn't firing. Tried a new coil and still no fire, this is really starting to get me down, what a stupid mistake!!

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well so much for that. While test firing I accidentally shorted the coil power to one of the coil bank wires and now that bank isn't firing. Tried a new coil and still no fire, this is really starting to get me down, what a stupid mistake!!
After some testing, looks like I fried my dyna s, test light lights up on one trigger wire when cranking but not the other. This sucks, she was running good too

1 - 12 of 12 Posts