Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I sprayed some wd-40 on the sp wires/coil connections/plugs. more importantly, i re-checked the ignition timing, which was too advanced. Then i re-synched the carbs and tweaked the idle mixtures, which totally corrected the bike's running, and eliminated the sputtering and backfires. It runs great, smooth, and much better performance.

It's hard to say if i should be getting more acceleration, still feels a bit hesitant, but i'm reluctant to mess with the timing, which was spot on for idle/3,000 rpm marks with strobe light.

·
Banned
596 Posts
imported post

Should be no hesitation. Check the battery voltage when its idling. These older GLs will run poorly if the charging voltage is low. 14+ is what it should be. Spark energy drops off drastically with a small change in charging voltage.

Sounds as if youve done the carbs OK.

Right, dont mess with the timing. That should only be done after everything else is known good.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

i have a feeling you might be right about voltage. The battery could easilyl be poor or not holding enough charge after so much time on/starting doing these diagnostics. I know the coils are good.

Thanks, Dave. Bike sure sounds quieter now, and no more 'rattling' from the #1 cylinder on accleration. My only worry now is that the cam belts are on too tight -- i hear slight squeal when i take off. DOH!

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Dave -- 14.5 V at idle or better. I have a feeling i might just need to clean the plugs, after all the idling/tune up, maybe carboned up. Otherwise, perhaps i'm expecting too much for a 30 year old bike. It's plenty fast, and it seems the acceleration curve peaks from 3rd gear onwards. That's when it really zooms. Certainly NO hesitation from standstill in 1st gear any more, which is great.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

mag wrote:
My only worry now is that the cam belts are on too tight -- i hear slight squeal when i take off. DOH!
Slightly tight belts will give a squeaking sound. I had a squeaking from my 1200 when I changed the belts and set the tension as shown in Clymers. After I loosened them a slight bit, the sound was gone. I think this has been mentioned before in this forum.

Glad to hear your bike is happy now! :clapper:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.