Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Ran my 78 home for lunch and stopped for gas, when I got back on it flat would not start. No tools with me and I had left the fuel on, so I thought that I might have a carb problem. Long story short, trailered it in and found out that I didn't have any spark at the points. I checked for bad grounds etc. and not long ago had read about doing an ohm test for the coils. I had nothing at either coil! ( checking across 1-3 2-4 at the plug ends?) I thought about it for a minute and grabbed the plug wires and pushed them hard toward the plug ends and two of them moved over 1/2 an inch. I never knew that the wire was only held by a rubber boot at the plug wire end, the bike fired first time over.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Hey HC, many folks cut off 1/2 inch or so of the end of theplug cable where it goes into the plug boot. Gives the screw on the plug boot some shiny copper to screw into.

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

You will never get any continuity between 1-3 or 2-4, the coils connect to 1-2 and 3-4.
The plug connectors screw into the wires, not just push in.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

my bad, thinking firing order, that is the way that I checked them. I have had the carbs out and done a lot of work since I split the case and rebuilt it. I think that I just pulled the wires back while working on it. Strange thing is that it fired fine and ran well until I stopped for gas, another post (not long ago) had the same thing happen with his and I wonder if as the coils heat up they lose some of their energy and couldn't make the gap.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

Both coils at once.. bet not...

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

read my post, checked the coils 1-2 3-4 didn't say that right. I have a spare set that ran 14.86 and 15.02 then checked the ones on the bike and had nothing. the wires were not making contact at the plug ends but still jumped the gap I guess. Some day it's dyna or some other electronic system new or used. thanks for the input. Dana

·
Administrator
27,793 Posts
imported post

When the engine is hot it takes more power to turn it over thus less power left for the ignition.

·
Premium Member
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
imported post

Got a chance to clip the end of the wires today and clean the pins/screws in the plug ends, it fired right up and I had good spark at the points again. Thanks all, on to finishing the fork seals on my 83. P.s how much fork oil with progresives?

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Some say none?? I'd start with half the regular amount and adjust as suites you..

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.