Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 78 honda goldwing had the carbs worked on from a guy the "knew" what he was doing, i can get it started and to idle. but when i try to take off it dies even be for i but it in gear seems like just moving the bike off the kick stand kills it. any ideas where to start?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry the bike had been sitting for years so i had the carbs rebuilt he said he had done 20 or so of them and he knew what he was doing. picked up the bike drove it around the block semmed to be okgo few miles away from his house and broke down. and has not ran right since.

·
Senior Something
13,270 Posts
Could be the carburetors still, or something from the tank has plugged the carbs up. Standard points? may be off. Do the timing marks line up?

·
Premium Member
711 Posts
I don't know much about the early Wings but on a 1500 I would start by cleaning and checking all micro switches, i.e. kick stand and clutch. I don't know if these even exist though on a 78 but I suspect someone will soon let you know.

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
You could have gotten sorta lucky. There is a fuel filter between the fuel tank and the fuel pump. Assuming your friend cleaned the carbs but did not clean all of the crud from the fuel tank from its sitting. Change out the fuel filter cut the old one in half. If it is full of crud, CLEAN THE TANK before you ride the bike or you'll be back to cleaning the carbs again.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.