Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Would someone be kind enough to tell me what size jets go where in a set of 1979 North American Model GL1000. I just want to make sure everything is where it is supposed to be.

Thank You All

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Gilles, I've only ever worked on 75-77 Wing carbs, but I found them to be a real pain. There are jets in there that even the WS manuals don't know are for! It's very easy to put things in wrong and suffer from terrible running. Here are some pointers from a 77, I'm not saying you don't know your stuff, but this might help in case something went back wrong;

1. Primary and secondary fuel jets can be fitted in backways. There is a groove at each end of the jet, one for the O ring and the other for the clip that holds them in place. Once the O-ring has been removed it's easy to mix up which way they go back. Right way is with the O ring fitted in the small hollow end, that end fits first into the body of the carb.

2. It's easy to mix up the primary and secondary air jets as they can fit in either port. The primary 120 jet fits nearest to the butterfly valve.

3. You need to balance the carbs after doing any work, period. The GL1000 carbs run like pigs when out of balance. You need to balance them with a proper set of vacuum or mercury gauges, no guesswork or trusting to luck (you can do them with feeler gauges on the bench if you are competent enough). Guesing or trial and error doesn't cut it. A mercury manometer works the best. Balancing them in the following order is best;

a. Right side first (nos. 1 and 3) Adjust the screw on no. 1.
b. Left bank next (nos. 2 and 4) Adjust the screw on no. 2
c. Balance both sides by adjusting the screw on no. 4.

·
Premium Member
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

:)Jason, I sure dont profess to know what I am doing. I mostly use mechanical aptitude and common sense with a dab of experience from being around bikes. I am not the only one who has been at these carbs and perhaps, they are in fact not synched properly. I think I will borrow at set of gauges and follow your protocol. Right now, I have them apart to make sure they are not dirty. They dont seem to be but just in case, it's carb cleaner in all the holes/passages and 100psi air pressure. There is slight corrosion where the primary and secondary fuel jets go but the O ring seems to seal properly. This is only on one carb. The others are o.k. There is no gas leaking anywhere that I can see and I did not locate any air leaks when operating the bike. The floats are all set at 21mm from the raised edge and the valve and seat are new as are all the jets.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.