Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just put a set of driving lights on my 79 and noticed that the voltage drops drastically even at speed.i bought a set from the local car parts store these are not off road lights just driving lights..it's tough getting old cant see at night to well anymore.i guess my question is --am i going to to be setting on the side of the road because of this or is it normal

·
Premium Member
427 Posts
imported post

I have an 88 GL1500 with a stock altenator. I also mounted driving lights from Advance and noted that my oltage drops from 14.2v to about 13.4v

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

mine drops below 12 volts.also got mine from advance good light the drop just worries me thanx for the reply

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Those are probably 55 watt lights and the 35 watt lights would be better for that old a system. You may also need to upgrade to led lights on as much of it as you can to off-set the drain on the system. A new battery might be in your future also.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Greetings.

If they are the standard lights you see in the parts store, they're probably 55 watts a piece. Your stator is only capable of generating(understand this is an estimate) 250-300 watts max. The bike takes a couple of hundred watts to drive the ignition and other electric parts. Therefore, the lights are drawing more juice out of the charging system than can be provided by the stator, hence the voltage drop.

I put some driving lights on my 83 but I used 35 watt bulbs. It's not much difference, but the system can keep up and I can see much better at night. Plus during the day, I have the modulator and the extra lights to make cagers see me better.

I know what you mean about being able to see at night. It's uncomfortable if you can't see as well as you like.

Regards,

Hobie

·
Premium Member
5,502 Posts
imported post

As your goal is to see at night, you do not want LED lights. LED can be seen but you cannot see with them. They simply do not produce the light needed to make the road visible.

Good 35 watt lights, a good battery and in areas that you can see good , just turn them off, let the battery build a bit and then use them when you need them. I think the system will handle the 35 watt bulbs.

Kit

·
Premium Member
1,474 Posts
imported post

answer to the next to last ? about setting on the side of the road. YES! If lucky you will stop to gas up and it won't crank back up. Unlucky - about 71/2 miles from the last house you saw on the 25 mile backroad it starts to sputter and dies!!!! REALLy fantastically lucky, you can wait 30 minutes unplug the lights and bump the starter for one last die hard moment. :waving:Keno

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

older wings, 1000, 1100 and 1200 have a very limited charging system. means it generates what it needs, be careful overloading the system. i would suggest you to replace the main headlamp bulb for hid xenon, no need for extra lights, it gives at my point of view around 500% more light than a 100W halogen bulb and it only draws 40-45 watts. not very cheap though but it is worth its light output in gold :p

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

thanx for all the info.much of it was as i expected,to much light to little charge.think i'll try the 35 watt bulbs and go from there.i like the idea of being seen better because these folks in florida don't much seem to care if they run you down, especially young ladies on cell phones. they like to tailgate

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

did a little math.disconnected one light ran the thing with everything turned on 12.5 volts constant.will get the 35 watt lights

·
Premium Member
919 Posts
imported post

I picked up a set of Halogen chrome lights from Walmart for $15. They were the exact same lights I had ordered from JCW last year for my Shadow that cost $25.Optronics I believe they were. Theyre 50w even though the box says 55w. I replaced the bulbs with 35w and it helped the voltage drop dramatically by reducing it that 15w per bulb for 30w total. Check out ebay,I got 3 replacements for less than $6. They may have some that'll fit yours.

·
Banned
1,234 Posts
imported post

I have the optronics from walmart, switched them out for 20 watt spots from lowes, seems to be okay

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.