Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Down
279 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all been a while since I have posted, I recently have been working on my buddys 79 Goldwing 1000 and have read about the carburetor floats loosing there bouency over time being composite floats can possibly absorb gas , is there any truth to this and if so is thr a fix. Ive also heard of coating them with polyurethane to fix it, any insight would be greatly appreciated thanks!

·
It aint rocket science
3,968 Posts
A heavy float is possible though rare, unless someone jacked with it previously which is usually the case, damaged. You can give a slight squeeze to a float (composite not brass or plastic) to see if any liquid is expelled. And you can weigh them, four to compare. And finally pick the center point between the two floats and see if it will balance using a small diameter pivot. Will measure it from side to side for heaviness.

Painting a float? Maybe if it wasn't made anymore and there was no alternative. It would affect weight of float and thus bowl fuel level.

·
Administrator
28,067 Posts
Unless you could dry the gas out of it completely there would be no point in sealing it. Float them all in a container of fuel and see if any sink farther than the others.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.