Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have a '79 Gold Wing thatwas running great when I parked it, but it sat a couple years.NowI got it running again but it has next to no power.

I cleaned and synched all the carbs. I cleaned and adjusted the points gap. New plugs. Trimmed the plug wired and screwed the caps back on. Flushed the fuel tank. New choke cable.

Strange thing is that when it is cold it will run like a top for just a few seconds then it will loose all it's power again.

I believe that it is running on all cylinders, but I will have to do the heat test tonight on the headers to be sure.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Dumb question I know, but did you change the fuel filter? Maybe the fuel pump itself?

Someone with knowledge will be along soon...Dave

·
Premium Member
343 Posts
imported post

another dumb question , your pipes havent been invaded by chip munks have they , just asking

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

Many questions.........

1. Does it make any unusual noises ?

2. Is the exhaust full of rust, falling apart, loud, ect....what shape is the exhaust pipes ?

3. You adjusted the point gap but did you re-time the engine ? There is a direct relationship between point gap and ignition timing so if the gap gets changed, so will the ignition timing.

4. When the sync gages are on the engine, are cylinders near equal in vacuum, what vacuum numbers does the engine have ? Note the vacuum at cold versus warm especially since you said that it runs good for a little while......... see if the vacuum starts high at first but then falls shortly after (this could indicate an exhaust restriction or other problems).

5. When the engine is first started, touch each of the pipes to make sure that they are getting hot and that al least the cylinders are all working. Any cold pipes willindicate a possible problem in that cylinder.

6. Does the engine run good only when the choke is on ? Does the engine bogg down when the choke is turned off ? Does the engine rev freely ? Does the engine start and idle ok ?

7.When the carbs were cleanedwere they cleaned properly; were allthe jets and emulsion tubes passed through with a orifice cleaner or a set of drill jets. The carbs must be cleaned correctly or there can be a performance problem !

8. Does the engine smoke and if so, what color is the smoke, and how long does it smoke? Is the smoke just during the start-up but then stops or other ?

9. Check the color & condition of the spark plugs; they should be dry and near tan color (for most fuels). If there is an odd spark plug color make note of that cylinder as it can indicate a problem. Make sure that none of the spark plug gaps got or are closed up.

10. Check the condition of the air filter and airbox area; It can be restricted and also sometimes rodents ect can and do make a home there.

Start with these and I'm sure that many more suggestions will come along!

Good luck for now:waving:

·
Premium Member
76 Posts
imported post

actionpack wrote:
another dumb question , your pipes havent been invaded by chip munks have they , just asking
This is not a dumb question but a very goodquestion because as I stated in my long list of questions basically does the exhaust have any restriction.........it could be any kind of restrictions including chipmunks, birds, field mice ect in the pipes. Good question though!

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

-No chipmunks in the pipes, or blockage, or any damage or holes in the exhaust.

-Bike does burn (and has burned) a little oil on start up, but that quickly goes away. The smoke is a dark gray to black.

-Air cleaner is in good shape

-Carbs cleaned properly

-Carbs synched with home made synch tool, so I could not tell you vaccum numbers, but they are all equal at warm and cold temps.

-Sprayed WD40 around the carbs and did not find any air leaks.

-Motor does not run better with choke on that would be indicating carburetion problems. It runs worse as expected when using choke on warm motor.

-Plugs appear to be a decent color, maybe a bit on the gray side, but not bad and not wet or oily

-Runs a little rough when cold and idling. If you take off and ride down the stree she pulls hard. Once warmed up, it runs very rough and has about half power or less, indicating what I would think is an over heated ignition system component. Condensor? Coil?

-Engine Revs freely

-To be more specific, I checked the point gap and cleaned them up well with contact cleaner. The gap was within spec, so no need to adjust timing.

-All pipes seem to warm up at the same rate indicating that all cylinders are firing.

-With points cover off you can see a nice bright bluish yellow spark on from the points.

-As for unusual noises... a little popping maybe, but for the most part it just sounds like it is struggling to make power.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

-Fuel filter and Fuel pump have not been serviced. I would not think that this would be the issue though, because it seems to be heat related.

·
Premium Member
4,882 Posts
imported post

bet you have a plugged vent in your gas cap..... try running it with the gas cap loose and see what happens

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.