Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Can someone inform me if the new style 1000 pumps do go bad? I bought one to install in my 'wing, thinking that was the source of the overheating problem, but when I looked at the pump today, it *is* the new style pump. Is it possible that this is not working? A pump just spins, correct? What could go amiss with it?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am trying to figure out the source of my overheating bike.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

Pull the thermostat, and check it's operation.

Put it in a pot, and bring it up to 183 degrees Farenheit (84C). The thermostat should open at that temp. Give it up to 5 mins, and if it hasn't opened, that's your problem.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
imported post

If it has not opened after 5 minutes, add salt, one sliced onion and continue cooking until tender.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

philcsand wrote:
Pull the thermostat, and check it's operation.

Put it in a pot, and bring it up to 183 degrees Farenheit (84C). The thermostat should open at that temp. Give it up to 5 mins, and if it hasn't opened, that's your problem.
thanks, I will try that. so, chances are the pump is still good? (I have read that once replaced, these pumps tend to last a long time - this bike has 34k miles)
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
596 Posts
imported post

sanfelice wrote:
A pump just spins, correct? What could go amiss with it?

Thanks for any help you can offer. I am trying to figure out the source of my overheating bike.
Yep, they just spin. not much to go wrong unless the impeller breaks or seals leak. Leaky seals are usually the problem. Thermostats dont often stick either but its not unheard of. Overheating in motorcycles is usually due to fuel or ignition problems (or both). Old carburetors leak and old electrical systems go weak and the combination can utterly destroy an engine. Not an easy one to sort out.:(

or just take the thermostat out and go fo r aride if you think it may be bad.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
374 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dave Campbell wrote:
Yep, they just spin. not much to go wrong unless the impeller breaks or seals leak. Leaky seals are usually the problem. Thermostats dont often stick either but its not unheard of. Overheating in motorcycles is usually due to fuel or ignition problems (or both). Old carburetors leak and old electrical systems go weak and the combination can utterly destroy an engine. Not an easy one to sort out.:(

or just take the thermostat out and go fo r aride if you think it may be bad.
how does the carb operation cause the bike to overheat. you stumped me on that one. curious to know, tho.

the other problem I neglected to mention is that there IS some oil weeping out of the bottom of the case. Impossible to tell exactly where it is coming from, but I have read that the O-ring behind the water pump can go bad or be missing entirely to cause this problem. (i guess this is worth another thread sometime ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
510 Posts
imported post

lean mixtures lead to overheating. Rich mixtures dissolve the oil on the cylinder walls, thereby increasing friction, and tempuratures. Overly rich mixtures don't burn completely, and will post-detonante in the exhaust headers, heating things up even more.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
596 Posts
imported post

Yeah, what he said. Any imbalance in either carbs or ignition can lead to overheating if combustion is not efficient. I once experimented with a super lean idle mixture setting on my GL1200 and it went from cold to the water boiling in 1 1/2 minutes just on idle. Amazing amout of heat.

The exhaust headers (just out of the engine) should go about 200-300* F on idle. Often from misfire they can hit 500* F or more.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
636 Posts
imported post

Brojees wrote:
If it has not opened after 5 minutes, add salt, one sliced onion and continue cooking until tender.

Hmmmmm!

Water pump stew. Nice.



Perhaps we should start a Goldwing recipie thread. 101 ways to cook your wing!



Sorry! Being silly. I'll go away now.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
296 Posts
imported post

Looking at the spark plugs will give you an idea of the mixture being weak. They would need to be almost white in the centre electrode for overheating to be caused.If the thermostat checks out okay and the mixture is okay then you should check the top radiator hose for hardness with the engine running. Squeeze it first when cold (engine off) and take note of how easy it is to squeeze. Then run the engine and when it heats up squeeze the hoise again. If it is rock hard then you have a head gasket blowing into the coolant tracts. It should be slightly harder than when cold, but very hard is a bad sign.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top