Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Just got my 79 back in July and have been working on it whenever I was able to since then to get it in shape the other day I finally was able to take it out for a test ride and it seemed okay, when I got backI turned it off to open the garage then when I tried to start it back up it acted almost as if it was dead the first time I hit the start button so I hit it a second time and it started, I pulled into garage and turned it off and decided to try again and head light went out and it acted as if dead, the next day I went out to try it and it fired right over like nothing was wrong, what might I check?

·
Administrator
26,561 Posts
imported post

Check you battery and connections to be sure but it is most likely the starter is getting weak. You can remove it and clean it out and check the wear on the brushes, replace if needed and grease the bushings and it may be OK. The headlight is supposed to go off when you push the start button BTW.

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Could try cleaning the contacts in the switch housing for the start button.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Dirty starter(carbon, commutator crud)..open and clean out, worn starter..rebuild, dirty starter switch..clean/replace, bad contact on negative cable from the battery to frame..dieing battery..what's it's voltage at rest? and starting?? bad solenoid/relay, bad connections from battery to solenoid or solenoid to starter.

More specific on what it does when not working well..hear a click but no starter movement? Click and stater sounds but engine doesn't turn over, nothing at all?

·
Premium Member
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks I'll check it out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.