Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently had my 07 GL1800 in to a Honda dealer to check a fault code. To my surprise there were actually 8 fault codes that came up, 29 IAVC, 38 Right /AF Sensor, 12 #1 injector, 13 #2 Injector, 14 #3 injector, 15 #4 injector, 16 #5 Injector and 17 #6 Injector. When they first hooked up the scanner it showed no ECM but the bike was running so there definitely was an ECM. The conclusion is that a mouse or squirrel has nicked a wire somewhere. The bike runs fine, no spit, sputter, back fire, staling or chugging and always starts. May have a little loss in mileage but nothing to be concerned about. Just looking for suggestions on where to start my search for a nicked wire or if anyone may have suggestions on what the issue could be.

Thanks in advance for any help

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
I would clear the codes and see if any of them come back.

Reactions: DrAce51

·
Registered
2003 GL1800A
757 Posts
First order of business I'd disconnect, inspect, clean and reconnect all connections to the ECM.

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
The only thing those components have in common is they connect to the ECM. I am thinking a ground problem, the injectors & the AF sensor ground through the ECM, it, the IACV and the diagnostic connector both ground through the same point as everything else, on the frame below the gas tank. It is a common problem.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The only thing those components have in common is they connect to the ECM. I am thinking a ground problem, the injectors & the AF sensor ground through the ECM, it, the IACV and the diagnostic connector both ground through the same point as everything else, on the frame below the gas tank. It is a common problem.
So if I am understanding you correctly, the ECM, IACV and the diagnostic connector ground on the frame below the gas tank at the same spot? If this is a common problem should the Honda tech not have made this suggestion? This ground issue would still allow the bike to run properly and just give false readings? Very green at this mechanical stuff so just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
So if I am understanding you correctly, the ECM, IACV and the diagnostic connector ground on the frame below the gas tank at the same spot? If this is a common problem should the Honda tech not have made this suggestion? This ground issue would still allow the bike to run properly and just give false readings? Very green at this mechanical stuff so just trying to make sure I understand. Thanks
Basically everything grounds there & bad grounds can cause some strange happenings.

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
This issue is probably being caused by C25 melting and the ECM losing power intermittently. C25 is a junction connector that distributes power to multiple circuits and is known to develop a bad connection in the FI system power wires. It has 4 different circuits in it, but only part of it can cause FI problems. It’s blue and is wrapped up in the large harness just in front of the relay bank under the seat. If it’s the issue, you will have to cut only the FI wires from it and solder them all together. Check out this link. Nice to Know Stuff, C5 and C25

·
Administrator
27,758 Posts
This issue is probably being caused by C25 melting and the ECM losing power intermittently. C25 is a junction connector that distributes power to multiple circuits and is known to develop a bad connection in the FI system power wires. It has 4 different circuits in it, but only part of it can cause FI problems. It’s blue and is wrapped up in the large harness just in front of the relay bank under the seat. If it’s the issue, you will have to cut only the FI wires from it and solder them all together. Check out this link. Nice to Know Stuff, C5 and C25
You need to show up here more often.

Reactions: Techdude2000

·
Premium Member
39 Posts
One of the clues to this is the errant injector codes. If the ECM really sets an injector code, the engine won’t start again until the code is cleared. Those are hard codes that won’t clear themselves.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
One of the clues to this is the errant injector codes. If the ECM really sets an injector code, the engine won’t start again until the code is cleared. Those are hard codes that won’t clear themselves.
Thanks for this great info. What an awesome forum to be a part of. Greatly appreciated. Will keep you posted on how things go.

·
Premium Member
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Just wanted to thank everyone for the great advice that they provided. Very happy to say that the issue is fixed and all codes have been cleared. Apparently there were a couple of bent pins on the ECM. Honda was able to straighten the pins for $260 instead of having to buy a new ECM at a cost of $1200. Thanks again for all the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts