Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does the fuel tank need the vacuum pressure from the fuel pump to draw the fuel out of the tank? I ask this because I removed the tank from my 1980 GL1100 for cleaning. The petcock would not turn, so I removed it intending to drain the gunk that was once fuel. Nothing came out of the petcock holes. I assumed they were clogged. I rinsed it out several times, and have had it soaking while I was waiting for a fuel tank sealer kit to get delivered.

The 1983 GL1100's tank looked much cleaner. The fuel inside actually even smells like real gasoline. Yesterday, I started to take the tank out of this one. I disconnected the fuel hose and put it into a container to drain the tank. There was a small amount of fuel in the hose that looked and smelled fine (like gasoline). I turned the petcock and...nothing. Tried the reserve setting...also nothing. I then removed the petcock. The holes look clear, but nothing comes out.

Secondary question: I've sealed several traditional bike tanks before, but never this Goldwing type. Is there anything I should know about sealing a tank like this? I'm using an Eastwood sealer kit.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.