Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

80 GL 1100 Clutches

According to the OEM parts fiche there are 8 clutches. According to Honda, 7 are the same and one is different. They are all friction plate clutches.

OEM parts numbers are:
Part #4 is 22201-MG9-000 (7 each)
part #5 is 22202-463-000 (1 each)

Does anyone know what the difference is with that one clutch plate?

I have seen kits for sale that show 8 clutches in a pack but they are all the same size.

Is it OK if all of them are the same?

They are all about $15 each from the dealership.
They are only about $40 in a kit. So if the kit is a drop-in replacement, then the price is a great savings.

But I don't want to install the kit if that one plate is going to ruin my bike and I'll just have to do it all over again.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
imported post

Hi,

there is a double metal plate rivited together called a Dampener Plate (I think). On my '83 it was 1/2 way between the fiber plates. It is my understanding it helps to get oil to the front of the clutch. Is this what you are seeing? It goes for about $42.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

I bet you're looking at the 8th plate which has larger tabs than the other 7....it's the one at the end of the clutch pack closest to the cover. When you install it, it's easy to make sure the packs all in & seated right, because that last plate fits into the larger outside slot of the basket. Kinda hard to describe, but as soon as you pop off the clutch cover you'll see what I mean :)

Dave

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.