Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

ok, I HAVE A 80 gl 1100, runs good now, but the issue i've been haveing lately is the rear brakes. for a while they were ok, then they started dragging, then i removed the caliper put it back on and the caliper wont compress. where should i start. just get a new caliper, because if this ones locked up, rebuilding it will be a pain i think. and if its the master cylinder, is it hard to rebuils the rear. i couldnt find any sites with pics, or instructions on rebuilding it. someone help me. thats all it really could be on the rear brakes, is the caliper or the master. right?? and as for bleeding the brakes, its the same as a car, correct. let me know. Thankyou.

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

Order the rebuild kit and have at it. Use some real fine grade wet and dry sandpaper to hone out the caliper cylinder. Not that hard to do, shouldn't take more than an hr on a standard. The puck is sticking in the cylinder and it just needs a good cleaning and new seal. Bleed it of course afterwards.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

ok, where is the best inexpensive place to get the rebuild kit. and what all should come with the kit, and where can i find instructions on rebuilding it. let me know. thanks.

·
Premium Member
12,779 Posts
imported post

:waving:Hello and Welcome . Your in the best place to find Goldwing help . Your off to a good start . You might consider going back to the menu and choose "MyAccount" then click on "Profile" then if you would edit your location . This is a world wide group. You never know , there might be a good source of help just around the corner from you . Or a new friend to ride with.

Yes bleeding the brakes is just like a car . Remember to keep the reservoir full . Its small and empties quickly.

Good luck and visit often .

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

any sites that show the instructions on rebuilding the rear caliper. and ive been seeing alot about the rear brake doing the front brake as well, would a 1980 goldwing have that. i am pretty sure it doesnt. but just checking. trying to get the goldwing back on the road.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

No the only 1100 with linked front and rear brakes was the '83. You can get a rebuild kit for your bike from many sources, eBay, Bike Bandit, Old Bike Barn or Motogrid for some expamples, just google one or the other. Make sure you order brake parts for the '80, just about every year 1100 has different brakes. It will cost around $50-70 for the parts you need. You'll also need a service manual if you haven't done a lot of this kind of work. You can also get a good exploded view drawing from the Motogrid or Honda Direct Line website to help you see what parts are in the assemblies.

Rebuilding them is simple, disassemble, clean, polish the cylinder bores, make sure BOTH ports between the cylinder and reservoir supply are open and clear and reinstall with the new rubber parts.

·
Premium Member
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

sounds simple enough...but if i dont have access to an air compressor, how else can i get the piston out of the bore. i saw someone say a grease gun, but that seems like alot of cleaning afterwards. any advice can help. i found a full caliper and bracket from a 79 gl 1100. would that work on the 1980 model. i know cars not bike interchange parts. maybe i should learn a new trade.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Leave the hose connected to the caliper and remove the mount bolts from the caliper and lift it off. Now pump your brake pedal. You may have to fill your master cylinder, but you will see the puck expand out. I don't know if the 80 is a single or dual puck. If it's a single just keep pumping and it will pop out. Hold it over a bucket or shop rags. Don't spill brake fuild on your paint. If it's a dual puck pump your brake pedal and one of the pucks will start to come out. You can leave 1 or both of your brake pads in for this. Once the first puck expands, wedge something between the pads on that end to keep it from coming all the way out. Now the other puck will move. Now just keep going back and forth one end to the other until one puck is out. You can disconnect the brake line now. Now what I did was wrapped the exposed puck that didn't come out all the way with a shop rag. locked on to it gently with vise grips and popped it out. You will have brake fuild everywhere, but you don't want that old fluid anyway.
Later Rumple.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

Before I had an air compressor, I took my frozen calipers to a local shop where they popped them out quickly for free.

·
Premium Member
80 Posts
imported post

Hey Steve, I had a front brake that wouldn't release the pressure and the problem was this little hole in the master cylinder. I'm not certain of the name, I think I heard someone call a return or something, anyway, I cleared it and everything was fine.

·
Premium Member
659 Posts
imported post

My 1100 is doing the same thing, 1/2 a mile out use the front and they stay on, either drive and get used to the smell/loss of power/smoke coming from the front wheel or stop and physically pull it back and forth till it free's

was going to change pistons but now might just clean the master cylinder and change fluid

·
Premium Member
88 Posts
imported post

HI,I HAD THE SAME PROBLEM WITH A 1982 1100. THERE IS A SMALL RETURN HOLE IN THE METAL BASE OF YOUR REAR MASTER CYL. ITS ALMOST NOT SEEABLE[NEW WORD]. IT IS VERY SMALL. USE A SMALL PIN OR A SMALL PIECE OF WIRE TO CLEAN IT OUT. YOU MIGHT TRY A AIR HOSE WITH A SMALL TIP. IT IS CALLED THE RETURN ON YOUR MASTER . IF ITS STOP UP YOU REAR BRAKE WILL NOT RELEASE. .I HAVE HAD TROUBLE WITH MY FRONT BRAKES .I JUST SPACED THE OUTSIDE PART WITH SMALL WASHERS HOGHIDEMAN PS.SMALL FLAT WASHERS

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.