Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
While riding yesterday I heard my bike make a "frapping" noise when the engine is under load. It makes this noise when accelerating or rolling at highway speeds. It doesn't seem like it loses power, it just makes the noise when I give it gas. Ideas??

Is this some kind of engine rattle or is it something with the carbs?

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
Or loose exhaust nuts. Have you been using a m/c Jack resting on the exhausted manifolds?

Frapping huh? That's a new one.

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Frap?

Tell me you are pulling our leg. The Urban Dictionary has a few meanings for this however your sound is the furthest thing from a frap sound! Check it out. I am going to edit a little but your free to check out all the definitions if you want a good laugh...

1)The noise a woman makes while masturbating. This sound does not come from a womans lips. Not the upper ones anyway.
Ex: Hey, whats that noise?
Ah, its okay. Its just mah mom frapping again.

2)A loud fart.
Ex:pop went frap, and ruined the spaghetti.

3)A tiny bowel movement that happens accidentally when you're passing gas. The most common cause of skid marks. Roughly the anal equivalent of "vurp," the tiny vomit that accidentally comes up in the back of your throat when you burp. Word derived from the combination of "fart" and "crap."
Ex:You'd better check your shorts 'cause I think that last one was a frap.

So the Frapping sounds like a wet fart or a women taking special care of her self. There are 36 possible meanings none of which my wing has ever come close to making. A rattle, A thunk, A knock, Pinging, bluburing, a whine, a squeak, a creak, a clang but a FRAP?

Is it posible to capture that noise on your camera and share it! Two members took a stab at the exhaust which can be a source of interesting sounds. Lets hear it and we all can vote on the sound bit and pehaps rename the sound with a more appropriate mechanical tune to it.

If indeed it sounds like a frap I will submit it to the Urban Dictionary for the 37th definition.

FRAPPING: "The sound a Goldwing makes just before it takes a crap!"

I am having to much fun with this, but really, if you can record it so we all can attempt to pin it down. Thanks for giving us a shot and a good laugh. I sure hope I am not the only one laughing...:ROFL:

·
Administrator
27,936 Posts
tell me you are pulling our leg. The urban dictionary has a few meanings for this however your sound is the furthest thing from a frap sound! Check it out. I am going to edit a little but your free to check out all the definitions if you want a good laugh...

1)the noise a woman makes while masturbating. This sound does not come from a womans lips. Not the upper ones anyway.
Ex: Hey, whats that noise?
Ah, its okay. Its just mah mom frapping again.

2)a loud fart.
Ex:pop went frap, and ruined the spaghetti.

3)a tiny bowel movement that happens accidentally when you're passing gas. The most common cause of skid marks. Roughly the anal equivalent of "vurp," the tiny vomit that accidentally comes up in the back of your throat when you burp. Word derived from the combination of "fart" and "crap."
ex:you'd better check your shorts 'cause i think that last one was a frap.

So the frapping sounds like a wet fart or a women taking special care of her self. There are 36 possible meanings none of which my wing has ever come close to making. A rattle, a thunk, a knock, pinging, bluburing, a whine, a squeak, a creak, a clang but a frap?

Is it posible to capture that noise on your camera and share it! Two members took a stab at the exhaust which can be a source of interesting sounds. Lets hear it and we all can vote on the sound bit and pehaps rename the sound with a more appropriate mechanical tune to it.

If indeed it sounds like a frap i will submit it to the urban dictionary for the 37th definition.

Frapping: "the sound a goldwing makes just before it takes a crap!"

i am having to much fun with this, but really, if you can record it so we all can attempt to pin it down. Thanks for giving us a shot and a good laugh. I sure hope i am not the only one laughing...:rofl:
lmfao, :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

·
Premium Member
2,163 Posts
Back east, a frap is a milk drink with ice cream, or a milkshake.
After that post, I'm laying off dairy products all together......

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Since we're having fun with this I will tell you how I came to use the word frap. Being lactose intolerant I have issues with dairy products. Some of the noises that emanate from my uh....exhaust... after a milkshake make a sound that's a combination of fartin' and crappin'. I will get you the recording. I will also check the exhaust connections. Maybe something has worked it's way loose.

And no, I have not had it on a m/c jack or stand lately. It's been sitting all winter on the center stand.

·
Premium Member
1,232 Posts
Since we're having fun with this I will tell you how I came to use the word frap. Being lactose intolerant I have issues with dairy products. Some of the noises that emanate from my uh....exhaust... after a milkshake make a sound that's a combination of fartin' and crappin'. I will get you the recording. I will also check the exhaust connections. Maybe something has worked it's way loose.
Have you checked your own exhaust? It may not be the Goldwing at all:)

·
Answer Seeker & Kibitzer
634 Posts
Maybe....uhh,...perhaps...not...

And no, I have not had it on a m/c jack or stand lately. It's been sitting all winter on the center stand.
I'm not sure we want to hear that recording...:wtf:

Huh...? Oh ...of the bike noise...:doh:

·
Premium Member
660 Posts
See now, people think I'm strange, you guy's over here have me beat bigtime in the goofy department..

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok, looks like I may have some difficulty attaching the file to this thread. I don't do the URL or YouTube thing. Any suggestions? It's and .AVI file. On another note, I now have a recording of exhaust coming from a place it's not supposed to. Gonna work on it tomorrow since I have no time tonight.

Oh yeah, it's a recording of the BIKE's exhaust I'm talking about.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Started it. Had to wait til the bike warmed up to get it to do it again. Saw smoke coming from exhaust flange area on right side. Gonna try readjusting and tightening tomorrow when I have time. Will keep you posted.

·
Premium Member
199 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Loosened the exhaust flange. Moved the muffler forward a half inch and retightened. Frapping, pooting, whatever you wanna call it, is gone. I also rotated the flange about 45 degrees and hopefully helped it seal better. (I hear that works for car mufflers sometimes.)

But now that I think about it, the noise sounded more like the cards in the spokes of my bicycle from my pre-motorcycle ridin', pre-adulthood days.

·
Still Learning
13,274 Posts
OK enough on Barking Spiders!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.