Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

One side of my front brakes are stuck. I rode in the rain a couple weeks ago so its obviously just frozen in place.

So I went to pump out the piston with air and even though I have had success in the past it wont come out this time.

I am stuck trying to figure this out.

Any help would be great. Thanks

1980 GL1100

·
It aint rocket science
3,924 Posts
imported post

You can try some soaking with PB blaster or something similar, inside caliper and outside. What air pressure are you using? Should be at least 125 psi. Some shops have pressures up to 160 psi.

Another alternative is to rig up an adaptor to accept a grease fitting and pump out with a grease gun.

JD

·
Premium Member
2,929 Posts
imported post

I don't recall whether the 1980 has dual or single piston front calipers. If it has dual, you can use a piece of welding stock to pump out the second stuck piston. Have a look at steps 7 through 11 of How to rebuild your front brake caliper.

If it's a single piston caliper, and air pressure isn't doing it, a grease gun normally will work. Be careful - when the piston does come out this way, it's going to come out with a LOT of power.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

It's single calliper and yes try pushing in with a vice or such carefully then ease out. I admit I was junking mine when I got them out so I used mole grips on them and twisted in a vice.

I replaced with custom made stainless ones and no further rust problems.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Once again you guys have saved me alot of time and money.

What I had done was try to pump it out with air and when that didnt work i took it completely off so i could work on it on the bench.

It made more sense to just use the brake lever to pump it out so i reassembled it and bled the lines and it pumped right out.

Works great now, thanks everyone.

A while ago I bought one of those brake bleeding pumps from harbor freight and it works great. It was about $20 and well worth every penny.

·
Premium Member
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Once again you guys have saved me alot of time and money.

What I had done was try to pump it out with air and when that didnt work i took it completely off so i could work on it on the bench.

It made more sense to just use the brake lever to pump it out so i reassembled it and bled the lines and it pumped right out.

Works great now, thanks everyone.

A while ago I bought one of those brake bleeding pumps from harbor freight and it works great. It was about $20 and well worth every penny.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.