Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I bought a basket case goldwing 2 months ago and just got it back together. She runs strong but has some problems. I took it to have the carbs looked at and they syncd them and replaced 1 needle valve. They cleaned it out and slapped it all back together.

The problems im having is it will not idle, it revs up really high when i pull in the clutch.
When i take off it sounds like im taking off in third gear so i have to rev it kinda high to stop that. When riding it, it runs ok but when i get on the throttle it feels like a power band kiks in and it really starts running great.

i can only get it to idle at about 3k rpm and when it finally dropps down to 1k rpm it dies after about 10 seconds.

With the exception of the carbs getting syncd up....every screw has been turned on it from it factory setting.

Any ideas?

·
Administrator
26,992 Posts
imported post

There is no solution other than a complete carb rebuild. The old Honda carbs (Keihein) are the worst I have ever seen for clogging up when allowed to sit for any length of time with gas in them.

·
Premium Member
342 Posts
imported post

Might be too junked up, but maybe try some seafoam in the gas....you never know, it might loosen enough carb crap up...otherwise yep, rebuild time.

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

i tried seafoam but i was told it will eat up seals and things like that.

·
Premium Member
1993 gl1500, 1976 gl1000
3,828 Posts
imported post

Damname wrote:
i tried seafoam but i was told it will eat up seals and things like that.
Seafoam will not harm anything in these carbs. Been tested many many times with members here. However like stated above if there is heavy duty crud inside the only help is a complete rebuild. If it comes to that don't scrimp on the kits you buy.

http://www.randakks.com for info on carbs and kits.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Sounds like the idle jets..what year is the 1100..some idle jets are pressed in and other screw out..a very small needle, brush bristle or guitar string can be used to ream out the pressed in kind..and they can be sealed up like there is super glue in there..soak and poke..once clean you'll need to synch the carbs..

·
Premium Member
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
imported post

ty all. i took it to a 'carb wizard' today and he said he could hear 2 things wrong off the bat. the igniters and the air cutoffs. he said theres prolly pin holes in the cut off causing the high reving. i tried to order some igniters today but it seems there no longer made. the cutoffs cost about 20 each and he has one already. i already had them take the carbs off and clean the varnish out of them but maybe they missed the jets. ill keep yall posted.

ty

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.