Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Today i was at my mechanics shop to have our BMW 325i looked at. In front of his shop was an 80 model Goldwing he said the bike had been there for a few months . A man had brought the bike there for him to look at supposingly it had carb problems and was'nt charging the battery. The bike looks decent and the moter turns over fine the throttle cables is froze and it has some rust on it . My question do you guys think this is a good buy or to risky. I'm used to working on Kawasakis mainly old Kz's let me know what you think.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

Can you contact the man who owns the bike? Does he have proper proof of ownership? Is the bike basically intact? Do you want to restore it or part it out? What are your mechanical capabilities.

If it is legit, grab it for $400 and worry later. Did you say $400???????????

BTW, big welcome to this forum, you will get your answers here.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Yes the bike is $400.00 i have contacted the owner he has a clear title to the bike . after talking to him he is the original owner of the bike . the bike has basically sat since 1993 only been rode a few times he parked it because it would drain the battery when it was rode. it only has 4100 miles on it and is totally intact. the problem with it now is that it has sat outside the last 7 months.I have worked on bikes all my life i'm 44 years old i've never worked on a Wing before mainly old Kawasaki Z1's Kz1000's etc . The Goldwing looks like a whole different ballgame to me.

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internetkawa454!:waving::waving:

The Goldwing is probably one of the most complicated bikes there is to work on. That said however it isn't beyond the skill of anyone with some mechanical and electrical aptitude. It isn't a bike to go by rule of thumb, if you take this one on you'll need a Clymer or Honda manual for the bike. If you've got that and a reasonable set of tools you shouldn't have a problem.

It's a shame they kept the bike out on the weather, especially when it had such a minor problem in 1993. I'm currently restoring a 1982 Aspencade which was allowed to go to pot sitting in the weather when it developed a carb problem a few years ago. This one has 77,000 miles on it though, not a low timer like you have. If you've got the time give it a go, I'd bet the owner will deal a bit since it's been sitting for so long. If I lived anywhere near I'd be interested. Even if you didn't get it going, it should be worth more than the asking price just for parts.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I'll have a pic of it today to put on.

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

You really have nothing to lose at that price. However, the fact that the battery drains while riding might lead to the stator (alternator) being replaced. This is very common on the gl1100 and up. It means dropping the engine. This could be why he's selling it. Just a thought worth asking. Testing the charging system is quite simple.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

At $400 I'd jump on it with both feet!!!!!! It may take a little TLC to get her running, but if the mileage is actually that low, the engine isn't even broken in good.

·
Registered
517 Posts
imported post

All the work I had done on bikes before I got a Gold Wing was in line fours. If you've benn able to handle the KZ's I wouldn't be the least bit worried about working on a wing. It's still a 4 cyl engine. This website is the best one I've exer experienced for tech support and you are virtually gauarateed someone here can help you if you get stuck on some problem. I'd buy the bike in a heartbeat if it was near me.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Heres a pic of the bike i just bought it for $250.00.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

SCORE!!!!!

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

Great deal! I must hang out at the wrong places:dude:

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

I just got the bike home what should i start on first . the carbs are completely frozen up nothing will move .

·
Premium Member
475 Posts
imported post

You need to take off the carb assembly, split the halves apart, remove all rubber o-rings/gaskets from all the surfaces/jets/etc., and SOAK everything in carb cleaner. The fun begins. Then you'll need to get rebuild kits for at least all the rubber parts, after you've blown out all the orifices with compressed air.

·
Premium Member
448 Posts
imported post

Wow..., just WOW!!!!!! Some guys have all the luck;)

Just the fairing and bags aloneare prolly worth more than you spent on the whole bike

·
Premium Member
374 Posts
imported post

One word of advice to you: Gambler :D:D:D

the other guys will know what I am talking about. search for "gambler" in the search function. it will lead you to an individual that did an outstanding job in restoring his early 80s wing. his job was quite good, but it was more his thoroughness and willingness to tackle any job. gave all of us here some confidence.

i bought my 79 a little over a year ago with 30k miles and have been slowly working on it from last year. i paid $1300 for mine and i thought it was a decent buy, but yours.. :clapper:

now - get that bike NEKKID - it's the only way to go! :dude:

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

So I guess you will be changing your name from Kawa454 to Wingstealer. Now you get to have all that fun bringing her back to life. Lucky man.

·
Premium Member
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

I'm still a Kawasaki guy by heart i have an original Z1 a Z1R and two LTD 454's but i'm going to give the Goldwing a shot. I own a custom cabinet shop and have a complete spray booth set up . The cosmetic part of it will be easy for me i'm just worried about the mechanical part.

·
Premium Member
446 Posts
imported post

One of my favorite sayings is....

"Sometimes you just get lucky."

·
Premium Member
65 Posts
imported post

Hello all...I picked this 80 model up last Saturday at auction for $50.00. Just gonna part it out and sell parts on eBay. My '84 Aspencade is all I need to ride. The '80 has been out in the weather a long time and probably has more engine/carb/electrical problems than I care to tackle right now.

shydog

Attachments

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
imported post

shydog wrote:
Hello all...I picked this 80 model up last Saturday at auction for $50.00. Just gonna part it out and sell parts on eBay. My '84 Aspencade is all I need to ride. The '80 has been out in the weather a long time and probably has more engine/carb/electrical problems than I care to tackle right now.

shydog

Why oh why do people do that to bikes?? Oh well, at least you will give it a proper burial--and with organ donations to boot.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.