Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

my front break stuck and i had to release the line at the caliper to loosen it and get home. need help with finding thread on a rebuild, thanks in advance

·
Administrator
26,180 Posts
imported post

What you have is the return hole in the master cylinder clogged so pressure is being held on the brake. You have to remove the reservoir to get to it, remove the cap then twist and pry on it and it will come off. Then there is a tiny hole in the bottom of what looks like a blind hole and it takes a really fine wire (wire brush bristle) or very small needle to punch it out. You might have to replace the o-ring that seals the reservoir and there is nothing on earth that will fit besides an OEM o-ring.

And BTW, you can edit your post and the title.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

thanks, stumbled onto a thread that went through the rebuild process and i saw the hole you are referring to so, thanks again

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

It could also be corrosion under the caliper piston seals preventing the pistons from retracting.

I fought that for a week on my CB900, opening the bleeder screw released the caliper. It wasn't fluid pressure being released but the torque applied doing so that set the piston back a few thousandths.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

thanks, i think i'll look into both since riding weather will be nill for a few days in ohio, rain coming and lots of it

·
Premium Member
58 Posts
imported post

I had the same problem with my 80 gl1100 and it was the master cylinder. I took it apart and cleaned it really well. It doesn't lock up any longer but doesn't build up enough pressure to stop well either. I have a rebuild kit on the shelf waiting for me to have time. But, I don't have it on the road right now probably not until next year, needs a few other things. Anyways, it shouldn't take much to mend it, hope you enjoy your bike.

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
It could also be corrosion under the caliper piston seals preventing the pistons from retracting....

Thats what I have had MANY times, never had a master cause it, but not to say it can't happen.

Bill

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

A sticking front caliper will cause the issue but after the lever is released then there should no longer be pressure in the system. I vote for the blocked "spooge hole" in the master.
That being said - the bike isn't new. Maybe rebuilding the calipers is in order too. There is a spooge hole in the rear master as well (really well hidden but again at the bottom of what looks like a larger diameter blind hole). Both relief holes are about 0.015" in diameter.

Here's a pictureof the rear master. The red arrow points to the spooge hole.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

I did it the easy way.. and cheated.. got a gl1200 master cylinder for my 82... works great, all metal case.. no plastic tank. Payed 20 bucks if I remember right

·
Premium Member
21 Posts
imported post

No one has mentioned the possibility of the front brake lines colapsing(SP?)internally.Old Bike,Old Brake lines.Can cause the same problems.

Farmer

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

GregForesi wrote:
I vote for the blocked "spooge hole" in the master.
If I'd known this was an election I'd have brought my voters card.:ROFL::ROFL:

Bill should isolate the problem before starting to rebuild parts that might not need it.
One way to narrow it down is to open the banjo joint at the master when the brakes bind (the usual lots of rags applies), that way he will know which direction to look.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

he already knows its the master.... when he released the bleeder brakes let lose

·
Junior Grue
8,153 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
he already knows its the master.... when he released the bleeder brakes let lose
Did you read the first post I made here? #5 I believe.:?

I've been there done that and in my case it was the caliper not the master so more testing is indicated before throwing money in the wrong direction.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Well the bike is 30 years old. We don't know the history of the bike. Maybe the calipers and master were serviced occasionally andthe brake fluid was changed regularly. It's a rare PO who would actually do that.

If I don't know the history, and the brakes start to act up, I do the re-do of the whole system including the rear caliper and master. A close inspection of the brake lines would be in order too. I don't think it's just throwing money at something. It's a safety issue.

And winters coming. By spring the brake systemscould be like new eh BillDoodle?

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
imported post

the master has not been touched since i have owned the bike and that has been around 4 ot 5 yrs. i can't recall exactly without looking at the title, getting old i guess.

·
Premium Member
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

right, i got all winter the way things are shaping up. afraid it's an early end to fun in the sun.

·
Premium Member
275 Posts
imported post

Mine's already in pieces. I'm adapting '77 spoked wheels to the '78. What a project. Glad my buddy has a machine shop. I put a stereo on her too. Café racer with tunes baby.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Ken Bergen wrote:
notodd wrote:
Did you read the first post I made here? #5 I believe.:?

I've been there done that and in my case it was the caliper not the master so more testing is indicated before throwing money in the wrong direction.
Ok ken agreed..

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.