Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I haven't had the bike but a couple weeks.It starts good,sounds like the starter chain rattlewhen it's below 2k rpms.It's a knock sound that smooths out at 3k rpm.The right exhaust is hot and the right side is just warm when running.I replaced the spark plugs.There's hardly any change in engine when when right side plug wires are removed.Thanks for any help on this.

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Welcome. Sounds like your carbs are not balanced. These wings are real picky about equal pressure coming in all of the four carbs. So, first, balance your carbs. Second, check your plugs, what do they look like, color, oil, etc.

You may need to do a carb kit (about $250 for parts) or maybe just a carb balance (cheap if you've got the guages)

·
Premium Member
1,837 Posts
imported post

Sound's like it's the primary chain rattle the 1100 are the worst wings for the chain rattle. there is no tensioner on the primary chain on the 4 cylinder wings so they are pron to rattle after they streach some. If the carbs are out of sysc the rattle can get real bad.
I find balancing the carbs by ear is faster and easier than using gauges.
Wilf

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Becassel,Than:waving:ks for the info!The bike has 39k on it and has been sitting about a year or so before I got it.I am planning on getting the sync guages and give it a try.I put some seafoam in the gas and that cured the backfire problem.I finally got it to almost idle at 950 for a while but it soon drops rpm and cuts off.It doesn't rattle as bad at 950k it gets louder above that,then above 3k it smooths out.Thanks again!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

:blackstuff:I will try to sync the carbs before I purchase the guages.It's so hot here.I don't want to go outside.The 82 1100 I just bought that has some how pushed the stator bolt through the rear cover,I'll probably just start selling parts off of it,to get some money to fix this 81.It's a two tone brown color.It's a fully loaded Aspencade 52k mi.Hondaline faring with the stereo and cb radio...full saddle bags and a good seat.I'll post some pics.later.Thanks!

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Just a follow up for now.I let the 81 1100 Goldwing run for probably about 20 minutes yesterday,had no change,the right exhaust was still running cool.I have had Seafoam put in the tank for a couple days.But I started it up today and it started burning the paint off the right exhaust pipe.So I guess it may be breaking loose.I ran it for about another 20 min.then I noticed it was dripping a little oil where the fuel pump connects to the head.There's hardly any change in the engine when I remove the 1&3 plug wires one at a time,but I can feel the current in my fingers when I pull the wires and there's good spark,jumping from the wires to the top of plug.It will only idle at about 1500 rpm now.The rattle is still there,but smooths out above 2000 rpms.I did manage to change the oil and filter.Thanks for any comments and suggestions.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

did mine without gauges... runs smooth as silk. cant afford pretty gauges

·
Premium Member
47 Posts
imported post

I have a 1982 GL1100 USA model. The rattle from inside sounds like the machine is runing badly at low revs which is often caused by carburetter unbalance. Buy the 4 gauge balnce set and follow the procedure in the manual to balance the carbs-its not difficult and the gauges here in Uk are about £ 35 for the kit. As to the primary (HYVO) chain mione has the tensioner on it but my 1979 GL1000 does not. Evidently in the early 80's Honda made quite a few engine changes without much publicity!!!

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
imported post

To the original poster: Pull the carb.s and rebuild them the right way. In the long run you will be far better off.

If someone can sync carb.s without a proper way to measure the vacuum, they should also buy a lottery ticket. Even doing them the correct way can take a while to get right, and its amazing how 'close' is not close enough.

Bill

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

:waving:Thanks for the replies!Looks like I'm gonna be getting the carb rebuild kit and snc guages.I got plenty to do to it so I'll be taking my time.If it had 2 carbs,I might be able to get it in snc.

Bobby

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

SEAFOAM ! SEAFOAM! SEA-FOAM ! FOAM of the SEA !
SeAfOaM ! Sea of the Foam !

·
Premium Member
332 Posts
imported post

What I mean to say, Seafoam may save you a carb rebuild.
here's what I do, Run the gas tank as empty as you can, pour an entire can of Foam of the Sea, and run the motor to displace the gas in the carbs, five minutes ought to do, then let it sit overnight, it should fire up, but it there is no changes, then you can do a complete rebuild, don't forget to clean out the slo-jet needles, these are found under a cap that has to be drilled out, very small holes.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Thanks Armo! I'll give that a try and see if it works.I know the Seafoam works most of the time.
Bobby

·
Premium Member
6,319 Posts
imported post

notodd wrote:
did mine without gauges... runs smooth as silk. cant afford pretty gauges
There is 1 or more threads on the board here somewhere for how to make your own gauges cheap.
Basically fasten some clear tubing to some Yardsticks in a U shape and fill them all to same level with tranny fluid. Then get some tubes or something to fit the carbs sync holes and attach the tubing.

Would be nice to have a set of the nice fancy gauges, but this homemade set on the forum should work just as well much cheaper

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.