Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

The metal piece that's on the left side...the part that the air cleaner hose fits on.Some one had broken it by twisting it with pliers and put glue around it,I pulled the top of it off and there was about 1/4 inch piece left in the hole,when I tried to get it out it fell down in the engine.Is there any way to get it out without taking the whole engine apart!Help Please!

Bobby

·
Administrator
26,566 Posts
imported post

Oops!!!!!
If you can't see it looking down through the hole it could have fell all the way to the bottom and might be accessible through the oil screen cover on the lower right side.

·
Official "Cheeky Plonker"
1,211 Posts
imported post

Personally I wouldn't worry about it, ride it and do a couple of oil changes, It'll probably come out powdered in the oil filter, that motor's tougher than a 1/4" piece of Aluminum. Besides, what've you got to lose? And actually my breather hasn't been connected at the top for years far too much of a pain in the A$$ to keep reconnecting, with no downside at all, I'm sure it's sucked down more mass than your little piece of soft metal.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

I might try to get it through thr oil screen.I didn't think about trying.Can't see it through the hole.Thanks!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

you have to run it to get it to the screen.

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

Not familiar with the oil screen, but unless that works, no there is no way to get it out. I have to admit it would bother me, but I'm kind of the OCD type. While it won't likely hurt gears, small bits of it could become embedded in the bearings or plug up an oil passage. That doesn't mean it will happen, only that it could.

I removed all the huge bowl of spaghetti that was attached to mine, put a 12" piece of heater hose on it, with a small filter designed for a Harley crankcase breather, and mounted that on the right side of the bike. I mounted it higher than the breather fitting on the engine. I was afraid the filter might get plugged up from oil, gas, and water vapor coming out through the breather, but so far that has not happened. I'm still watching it though. All the original hoses were rotted, and the separator tank was cracked.

·
Premium Member
1,522 Posts
imported post

Filter screen is on right side if you look on the other side of your exhaust pipes on the engine

·
Premium Member
415 Posts
imported post

Bad luck senova, that sort of thing usually happens to me. Good luck with the hunt.
I've run mine with the breather connected up and just draining to the floor and noticed no difference, wasn't it just an environmental feature?
Bo

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Well if you haven't run it yet you might be able to shove a gripper thing down and try and grab around a bit may just catch it..yo know those 3' long snake type things with teh three pronged push out fingers on the end..

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

:?Thanks fellows!I was kinda worried about it getting in the trans gears and getting behind the pistons.I tried getting it with a small piece of wire,but no luck.Seems like I had one of those things with the fingers on the end,I don't believe it will fit through the hole,it's real narrorw in there and some tight curves.It's a complete round piece so maybe it will bounce around for awile.I gotta get these carbs.cleaned and rebuilt before I can start it up.It took me a couple days to get the tank cleaned,I used the bettery charger method on 2 amps.I did this while it was still on the bike.I flushed it out with water real good and dried it with an old tee shirt.I also used a piece of garden hose to drain it.Afterwards I blew it dry with my compressor.Then I put some MMO in the tank put the gas lid on and blew air down through the sending unit hole,that created a huge fog in the tank.I then fill it with fuel.So that worked out really good.I'll keep all of you up to date on my progress.I really appreciate the suggestions.Hope I'll be riding this thing before long.Gotta get those timinmg belts too.Have a Great Day!

Bobby

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.