Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

Hello :waving:Coming home from work, 30 degrees out :snowman:Heard a whining noise...

Bike on centerstand, turn bars, noise comes & goes :shock:( I'm thinking power steering pump;))

It is the tachometer. I don't like taking things apart unless I have the parts to repair.

Any suggestions on preventing damage or what to look for ? Thanks Wingers... P.S. Please no jabs about riding in cold weather from the southern boys :D, as this is the 4th year I've done it without any issues...

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Sounds like a drying cable... If so, this may help:

Disconnect at tach and wheel. Won't necessarily have to be removed, but easier if it is.
A short length of rubber or poly hose (fuel, vacuum, fish tank, etc.) pushed over the top of the cablewith a small funnel inserted into the exposed end.
A catch-can on the bottom side.
With the funnel supported, pour in a few ounces of WD-40 or another light lubricant and let it sit until the lube trickles out down below.
May take more than a few ounces...
You can speed up the process by working the drive cable with a small cordless drill attached carefully, but letting it sit for a extended period will help greatly.
Any variation of the method above should get the lubeend-to-end throughout the cable assembly and work also.

:)

Edit:
Man is it cold here too. Not use to this kind of cold yet, but I'm ready for it.

·
Premium Member
284 Posts
imported post

Tach has nothing to do with wheel ( thats the speedo) it comes from the back of the petrol pump, the best way I have found to lube it is by removing from rear of clocks (can be done without dismantling dash if your hands aren't too big) and letting gravity do the work. I like to use the non aerosol pump lube used for locks as this goes in as a liquid and the liquid evaporates off and leaves a dry coating of graphite

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

Ooops..:DSorry there, CodyinMN,

I was thinking Speedometer for some reason, despite what I read and wrote. Houseful over here.

Same process applies though.

·
Premium Member
993 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
imported post

Thanks CM85 & m800 :bowing:Just lubing the tach cable took care of it :banana:

I should have known that, recently did throttle & clutch cables, did'nt think to do speedo & tach :doh:

·
Banned
12,287 Posts
imported post

:):):)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.