Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

just got carbs back together and it is firing on all cylinders now i have a weep hole on the back of the fuel pump that is dripping oil. Not really sure what this could be.

Also- could the copper exhaust manifold gaskets getting hot cause them to leak oil. I have that on the other side .

Thanks

jeff

81 Rebuild

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

"can't" be oil but it should/could be gas..means your diaphragm is leaking and the pump is failing. The only way oil coudl be coming out of the fuel pump weep hole is if the whole tach housing has filled with oil and it's even backing up into the bottom of the pump..above the oil level in the heads..I'd say impossible. Oil can leak out of the tach cable port if the oil ring there has failed and blow back to the back of the pump housing? Or leaking from the valve cover and blowing back?

BUT IF IT'S GAS..YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE SO BE CAREFUL.

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

RB wrote:
"can't" be oil but it should/could be gas..means your diaphragm is leaking and the pump is failing. The only way oil coudl be coming out of the fuel pump weep hole is if the whole tach housing has filled with oil and it's even backing up into the bottom of the pump..above the oil level in the heads..I'd say impossible. Oil can leak out of the tach cable port if the oil ring there has failed and blow back to the back of the pump housing? Or leaking from the valve cover and blowing back?

BUT IF IT'S GAS..YOU COULD CATCH ON FIRE SO BE CAREFUL.
What RB said... +
I hope you have a fire extinguisher close by! As you know,, I can attest that they will burn very quickly.

Have not heard of oil dripping out of exhaust.. only gas! I have had the tack cable leak oil where it enters the fuel pump, and that will drip on exhaust. There is a grommet that seals the tack cable inside the fuel pump. Just an fyi, I found what looks like they might work to fix this.. at ACE Hardware in there grommet section by the screws..
Probably not perfect size, but might be worth checking out.
Just please be careful!

·
Premium Member
137 Posts
imported post

mine leaks oil a bit from that area must be the gasket behind thata tachometer/fuel pump housing,, going to cut some carb paper to fit it,,coming from the cam seal? i think, can't be much for the proper honda gasket, if anything i'll silicone that btch dry

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

well- i did have a broken tach cable which i have not fixed but the housing is still screwed into the hole where it goes. It is missing the oring though but i am not sure the 2 issues are related. I might have a fuel pump diaphram that is leaking and mixing oil and gas and shooting it out the weep hole? But the oil on the floor this AM seemed full viscosity so ????

·
Premium Member
986 Posts
imported post

Mine developed a leak at fuel pump that was a little hard to detect at first. I then took tack cable out and found that the seal was shot. It is not really an o-ring, more of a gromet shaped rubber seal. Anyway my understanding was that is the only place on the fuel pump that could leak oil.

·
Premium Member
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

the gaskets had been leaking around the fuel pump area and where it attatches to the back of the head. Just installed Magic Black around both surfaces and on the left side as well. Waiting for them to skin up then ill tigheten down. Good news is once the oil leaks are stopped ill get to test drive this weekend and see if off idle acceleration is any better. Yea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.