Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got this GL project in pieces.
Anyway, motor is cranking only without sparkplugs. Soones I install plugs it acts like starter have not enough power to turn the motor. I rebuilded the starter-no changes. I purchased another starter-same isue. I am running on solid working car battery but it does not take long to drain it. I am using car jumper cables and wrench trough the solenoid(its getting hot quick). what would be the cause of such a high amperage. My multimeter is up to 10A and looking on the spark generated I am sure its much more than 10A.
Once I installed plugs on one side and got it started. I got the timing belt cover off and everything looks to be in place-Any ideas?

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Well since it turns over w/o compression, but won't with the most likely culprit is the starter is weak. I know you said you rebuilt it, but.....

I'd find a known good starter and put it in. It's not always the case that a new starter, or used one, is top performing.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

Have you reset the valves, have you checked the cam marks against the timing marks? have you checked compression. Are the plugs wet after you try to start?

turn over with plugs resting on the engine..do you have a nice fat white or blue spark?? Gas off and cover spark plug holes or maybe a big boom and fire.

To fire you need compression, spark and gas..all at the right time.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

I would also suspect the timing is not correct, especially as you mentioned you started it on one side of plugs.

Go the frequently asked section of this forum and look for the how to guide by octane on installing the belts. It is very through and far far better than the manuals.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I checked the cam marks against the timing marks,they are in order. Did not check compression-since it was running with plugs in one side I got gas,spark at the plugs and some compression. It got to be starter! I have two starters,both do the same-not enough speed to start(actually it stops the motor on compression cycle)How do I check starter? I took one apart and rebuild it completely also checking field coils for resistance. Is there any bench method of testing them? Thanks

·
Premium Member
3,310 Posts
imported post

I would take the starter to a repair shop that works on auto starters and alternators and they should be able to test it and make any needed repairs.

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

If the motor stops on compression, on which cylinder does this happen? Is it the same one each time?

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

the motor stops on compression, on all four cylinders. Acts like weak battery.
I will try local starter re-builders.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

I got back from starter rebuild-starters appear to be ok
They could not do load test but the oscilloscope says that its OK

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

I got the timing cap off-and its in order. I got no more ideas so I purchased new starter(it should arrive in couple of days)-will see what happens. If that doesn't work -I have pile of parts for sale :)

·
It aint rocket science
3,920 Posts
imported post

When cranking over with the plugs installed are the ignition wires attached. If so try with them disconnected from plugs.

Another thing to try is attaching cables directly to engine for ground and positive to starter post direct. Make final connection directly to battery posts. Load test that battery while you're at it. Watch for sparks. etc, etc,.

JD

·
Bob Cassel
386 Posts
imported post

Can you turn it over by hand? Using a wrench on the crank?

Try it first w/o plugs, then with plugs. You should be able to turn it over by hand. That will tell you if it is mechanical or electrical.

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Without plugs motor turns fine by starter or hand. With plugs engine stales the starter. I will try to turn it by hand...I am using battery from my daily driver car.When cranking car battery voltage drops to 8V, when cranking goldwing it drops to 10V.
Thanks for all responses

·
Premium Member
935 Posts
imported post

The Starter motor turns over the bike. The battery I can take it is up to the job of the test. I'm afraid it all boils down to the compression and the engine locking as soon as the cylinders are sealed by the plugs. You have compression where you do not need it. I cannot see it any other way from this distance.

Please download and look carefully at the tutorial for Octane. There is something wrong and you wouldn't be the first to get a small thing wrong and have the motor timed back to front. Why do you think I recommend the tutiorial so much. Mine was a small but easily overlooked error which caused me to reverse the timing of the cylinders.

As pointed out before try to turn over with the plugs in but caps off. I wouldn't mind betting that it locks again.

Good luck and take it from another older wing rider that you cannot have too many starter motors!

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,824 Posts
imported post

Starter motor is series wound DC motor. As such this is about a 1 HP motor but it can draw up to 600% more current that 1 HP.
It needs a very good clean positive feed and a very good clean ground.
Jumping via a car, car battery and cables does not mean it is getting all the power that it needs.
You must verify that it is getting what it needs and at least 100-110 Amps at 11 volts is a must.
Anything less will not be enough.
Grounding of the DC motor is just as important as the positive feed.
Also when starting these motors there is a great draw down of voltage to the coil feeds for ignition. Your coils will need a full voltage.
With all the voltage and all the current that the motor needs the ambient if too cool will hinder starting. Does your choke work as it should?
Are your ignitors in clean shape?
You should at the very least test your compression with a WOT as to see what you have, it will increase as the motor warms, but see if there is compression.
Are you getting fuel/air mixture to within the chambers, are the plugs wet? Check the plugs gap and dry the plugs.
Test for spark at each cylinder.

In a trial starting attempt run that starter for no more than 3 seconds, wait, then try again. If everything is good but still no start there is something wrong.
Start with the simple things and verify all, you may have to by-pass with a jumper wire some things to remove all interlocks that are on the bike. Spark plug gap is critical too large just simple takes too much power.

Make sure your jumper cables and external battery are in good clean condition and keep that jumper car off while jumping.

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

Changed the oil lately? What weight? What's the ambient temp? You say you started it using only 2 plugs on one side?? How'd that work out? Probably no valve interference right now so....

You've used a second starter with the same results. What do you know about this basket case? It could be you've bought someone else's problems that make the project expensive to fix if it's got internal engine problems, like a spun bearing or something else causing the engine to be tight.

Good luck with your project.

Hobie

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
imported post

I know nothing about that bike-it looks filthy,Carburetors needs to be redone(but that will be done after I know that there is a chance), I changed oil soonest I got it. Both tires are shoot what tells me HigH Milage.Now I am waiting for brand new starter- If same S happens-You are right "expensive" is the word so I will get another Wing. I will post results ASAP. Thanks

·
Premium Member
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

ITS ALIVE!!! Apparently both my starters are fried. New starter arrived today and it did the trick. It fired up and run until ran out of fuel. Thanks and Happy New Year Everyone -You make great Wing-place on internet...

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

:claps:
Happy New Year!
:waving:

1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.