Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I took my carbs off my 81 gl1100 today and the 3 & 4 carb pilot jets are broke off.I'm gonna order a Randaks rebuild kit to rebuild them.The 82 gl 1100 has all the pilot jets still in place,they are still on the bike.Should I take those off to rebuild and use those or is there any way to get the broken jets out?Please let me know what I should do.Thanks!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
722 Posts
imported post

If you mean the jets inside the carburetors, they are pressed in. They can be removed using a screw forced in to the open end and pulling hard on the screw.

If you mean the adjustable idle screw on the bottom of the carb, use the usual techniques for removing a broken screw. In this case cutting a slot in the remaining end of the screw seems to be the way to go. Check the Randak's kit to see if the idle screws are included.

If the '82 runs well just use those carbs as it until you can get to rebuilding the '81 carbs.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

These are the pilot jets that had the plastic caps,they are on the bottom.I got 1 of them out.I'm letting the other one soak with some PB blaster.I never heard the other bike run,I mostly got it for parts.Something in the alternater came loose and the nut knocked a hole in the rear cover.The bolt is still tight,I can turn it with a 3/8 rachet with a pipe on the end of the rachet.Seems like the whole shaft slid back.When I get those jets out,where can i get replacements?Manual says replace all 4.Thanks!

Bobby

·
Vintage Rider
2,410 Posts
imported post

If you can't manage to repair your carbs, fortunately you have a bike for which used carbs are readily available for.

I have gotten a lot of jets from an online place called jetsrus.com Mostly for dirt bikes, but they also had the jets for my Kawasaki Vulcan 750. They pretty much have jets for all Keihin and Mikuni carbs.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

if you mean the the air/gas mixture screws you maybe screwed. If the tip broke off youi are basically screwed.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

I got the carbs off the 82 1100 and they are a lot cleaner than the ones that came off the 81 1100.While I got them off,I'll order the kit from Randaks.I did manage to get one of the pilot jets from the bottom of the one carb.I'll try to get the other one out later,too hot here now.When I was trying to seperate the carbs,I rounded off one of the big phillips head screws,the ones that hold the screens in place.3/8 drill bit took the head off and then I screwed it out by hand.I'll keep you posted on my progress.Thanks for all the info!

Bobby

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

:sleepy:This is a video of what my 81 gl 1100 sounds like.Everything i've gathered so far was the carbs. needed sync.So it looks like this guy rebuilt his carbs.but didn't sync. his.I got a carb.kit from Randakk's I've got the rust out of the fuel tank.So now I'll be getting the carbs.rebuilt.My question is,when I sync.mine will this Knock go away? Thanks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6PRKsgZkdw&feature=player_detailpage

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.