Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 81 gl 1100 is over charging...it is charging 14.60 at idle and only moves up a volt when engine is reved it also goes over 15 volts when i turn on headlight...I put the 82 gl1100 regulator on it and it went to over 15 volts...so I put the old one back on...those 3 yellow wires haven't been soldered together yet. they don't seem to be burnt but they do get pretty warm.Should I check the stator out put first?Thanks for any suggestions!

Bobby

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
imported post

It is a good idea the do the soldier job . where did the volt reading come from? A DVOM at the battery?

·
Premium Member
164 Posts
imported post

ssnova72 wrote:
...Should I check the stator out put first?
Yes, but 15 volts is a good omen for your stator. I would think the regulator/rectifier is more likely to be the problem.

·
Administrator
26,169 Posts
imported post

Check the ground wires at the regulator plug and on the bolt at the front of the ignition coils. Bad ground will cause high charging voltage. Also check for power at the black wire with the switch on, no/low voltage there can also cause high charging voltage.

·
Premium Member
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Hello Dave!I will check those grounds and also that black wire you mentioned.I also did the 30 amp fuse on the solenoid,but I'm gonna go back and solder the connections.The PO had cut the wires to the starter solenoid,so i resoldered those.There were 3 extra dogbone fuses that had almost had turned to flakes,they they fell into pieces,were mounted in the cover in the solenoid.I also did the timing belts and the radiator hoses.Thanks for the info.I really appreciate it!:congrats:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.