Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I have been rebuilding my 81 GL1100 over the winter.

:shock:

Repair and upgrade list:
  1. Replace and rebuild Front Forks
  2. Fix non-functioning Cooling Fan
  3. Replace Timing Belts
  4. Replace Valve Covers and Gaskets
  5. Replace Spark Plugs (Iridium, plugs)
  6. Replace Oil and Filter
  7. Replace Coolant
  8. Replace Air Filter
  9. Replace Fuel Filter
  10. Replace Windshield Accent with Chrome
  11. Add Wind Wings to Windshield
  12. Add Side Wind Wings
  13. Replace Side Engine Covers
  14. Change Clarion I System out for a Clarion II with Intercom and CB
  15. Add Headsets to Helmets
  16. Add on-board Compressor for adjusting Forks and Shocks
  17. Replace worn out Throttle Lock
  18. Clean and polish all Chrome
  19. Repair cracked Fairing
  20. Repaint and add new Chrome Parts and Accents
:toast:

Many of these are complete and I am down to the last few. One of those is the Front Forks. I have two sets of forks and am trying to do a rebuild using the best parts from both sets.

My questions have to do with these. I have ordered a new set of progressive springs, new seals and rings and new dust covers. In taking the forks apart both sets had the same springs inside. What appear to be a form of progressive spring although they are a bit shorter than the new ones I ordered and a much shorter set of what appears to be standard type springs (equal spacing between the rings). Is this right? I thought there would only be a single spring in each fork.

Also, I had a devel of a time getting the o-rings out but finally got them out after buying a better set of o-ring pliers. However, I cannot get the old seals out now. I have tried over and over to "pop" them out by sliding the tubes out as hard as I can but they refuse to budge.

HELP!! :clapper: :? :headbanger:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
imported post

:clapper:

Attachments

·
Registered
10,509 Posts
imported post

The 2 piece springs are the stock honda springs. The progressives are 1 piece.

2 things you need to check, the bottom of the forks where the axle goes have an allen bolt that has to come and and the other is the circlip in the top of the tube underneath the dust cover. The forks won't come apart till you remove that circlip.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

rb7632 wrote:
My questions have to do with these. I have ordered a new set of progressive springs, new seals and rings and new dust covers. In taking the forks apart both sets had the same springs inside. What appear to be a form of progressive spring although they are a bit shorter than the new ones I ordered and a much shorter set of what appears to be standard type springs (equal spacing between the rings). Is this right? I thought there would only be a single spring in each fork.

Also, I had a devel of a time getting the o-rings out but finally got them out after buying a better set of o-ring pliers. However, I cannot get the old seals out now. I have tried over and over to "pop" them out by sliding the tubes out as hard as I can but they refuse to budge.

HELP!! :clapper: :? :headbanger:
The stock suspension have two springs ... one that is around 8 inch and one that is 18 inch..... check the manual for the specific lengths.

As for the seals .... if you are overzealous with the method indicated then you can crush the spacer inside and under the seals...... seems that around '82 Honda went to a flat washer but the '80-'81 have an arched washer spacer.

I use a 45 degree chisel that is ground down to fit between the fork tube and outer housing. Use a hammer and chisel to puncture the metal portion of the seal. You can then easily pry the seal out.

BE CAREFUL .... you don't want to hit the tube or fork with the chisel. DO NOT SCAR ANY SURFACE. Take your time, don't get impatient. I have replaced countless seals this way without damaging any surfaces. However, it seems that when people try to replicate my method,somescrew theirs up..... even after watching me do it....

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Yes, what you are calling the circlip is what I called the o-ring. I did not remove an allen bolt. Where exactly is that?

When you install the progressive springs do you also put back the smaller standard spring or do the progressives replace both?

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Bagmaster wrote:
the bottom of the forks where the axle goes have an allen bolt that has to come

Good point, I assumed that he got that bolt out .... You know the story with assumtions right ????

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

Turn the forks upside down. Look where the axle rides. There is an allen head bolt right there. Remove it.

·
Premium Member
1,969 Posts
imported post

rb7632 wrote:
When you install the progressive springs do you also put back the smaller standard spring or do the progressives replace both?
The Progressive spring is designed to replace both stock springs.

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

:bowing:

The allen screw was sure the problem. One of the forks came right apart after removing the allen screw. Two of them are badly corroded and I am soaking them with WD40 and one of the allens is rounded out. It will take and easy out to get it out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.