Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1981 Gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,
I appreciate the help with my fuel lines a couple weeks ago, just got them all run today. We're getting closer to turning it over for the first time but first a couple questions. I drained the oil today and replace the oil filter. After draining the oil, I noticed a strong gas smell. I've been doing my research and I know it could be a few different things. When I bought it, the main issue was that two of the cylinders weren't firing. So my best guess is that during the process of trouble shooting the cylinders, the previous owner was having constant misfires and that caused the gas to leak into the oil. Also I could have a stuck float valve but the previous owner claims he rebuilt the carbs so Im not sure, any input would be much appreciated. Also, what the hell is this lose hose in this picture? I can't seem to figure it out, as always I appreciate the help, thanks!

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
That is the hose that goes to the port on #3 carb that has nothing on it, hopefully. Rebuilt carbs can have a few different meanings, take what the guy that sold it to you with a grain of salt. Most likely a float valve that's not sealing off.

Reactions: limpy45

·
Registered
1981 Gl1100
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That is the hose that goes to the port on #3 carb that has nothing on it, hopefully. Rebuilt carbs can have a few different meanings, take what the guy that sold it to you with a grain of salt. Most likely a float valve that's not sealing off.
I appreciate the reply, so I can probably pull the hose ans ignore it? As far as diagnosing the float valve, is there a way to check it without tearing apart the motor? My wrenching skills are improving but im bot sure the haynes manual and my hasbro playset tools could pull it off

·
Administrator
27,366 Posts
No, plug the hos onto the carburetor, the little port that points outward. The float valves are in the carbs, not in the engine.

·
Registered
262 Posts
That hose is for the vacuum advance that is the can it also goes to. More than likely it is Kaput and it is also no longer available from Honda I believe. Only way to check if it is good is to see if it holds vacuum. Not much, only about 5=8 inches of it. If there is a port on the carb it should be plugged somehow. Easiest way is a short length of hose with a bb stuck in it.

·
Registered
286 Posts
That's the vacuum hose for timing advance. See if it runs with fresh oil and gas. May just need ridden. Turn off gas when parked.

Sent from my SM-J320V using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts