Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Premium Member
449 Posts
imported post

Have you checked your valve adjustment? sounds like it could be a little low on compression. After having some head work done on mine I don't even use the choke above 50 degrees.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
imported post

MADDOG355:
I don't think the valves are suspect. They were inspected/adjusted approximately 1,500 miles ago when the timing belts were replaced. Based upon what I've read from other threads on this board, I think I should also synchronize my carburetors. The symptoms are knocking and slight clanking at cold start up, but fine once the bike is at higher revs or warm.

Awhile back, I purchased a vacuum gauge kit from Z1Enterprises.com. It'll be the first time I've ever done a carb sync so wish me luck.

Davogd430:
Thanks for keeping me straight! :waving:

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
imported post

It was roughly 43 degrees this morning and I know it would have been next to impossible to start my bike prior to the repairs. I pulled the choke, hit the starter and "brrrroooommm", the bike came to life. Yea!

Unfortunately, the bike started to stall when I eased the choke back down. WTF??? After the bike finally died, I couldn't get it restarted. I was so bewildered. Then it hit me. I turned the petcock "off" the day before. DOH!

With the fuel on, the GL sprang to life and off to work I went.

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

:dude:Funny how those little things bite us in the ars, when their over looked.

Have a great day.

Rumple

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

Boy ,you guys all missed the problem. His bike just didn't want to go to work.,,

·
Premium Member
1,902 Posts
imported post

Sometimes I have to push the black lever on the carbs to get the choke to go all the way.

However, a new battery will make a big difference. Not just turning the engine over, but the spark.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
imported post

I won't continue to bore everyone with updates past this post, but yesterday's trip home from work satisfied me that this issue is resolved.

It was 36 degrees, I used full choke and the bike fired right up on the first try. Yea! Now I just need to invest in better cold weather riding gear.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who directly or indirectly helped me fix this particular problem.

·
Premium Member
285 Posts
imported post

vabikeguy wrote:
I won't continue to bore everyone with updates past this post, but yesterday's trip home from work satisfied me that this issue is resolved.

It was 36 degrees, I used full choke and the bike fired right up on the first try. Yea! Now I just need to invest in better cold weather riding gear.

Thanks to everyone on this forum who directly or indirectly helped me fix this particular problem.
The best you will get http://www.gerbing.com/

·
Premium Member
2,838 Posts
imported post

valikeguy,

My first wing was like this. The P/O had just had it tuned, new belts, carbs set, and I set the plugs back 2 degrees, from 28 to 26. Solved the problem.

Good luck,

Nightrider1

vabikeguy wrote:
I have been doing a lot of work on my GL1100 and it seems to run better each time I apply some TLC. The one thing I have not been able to resolve is the extremely cold nature of the bike.

When the temperature dips into the 40's, the bike is very difficult to start for the first time. Its easy to start after its warmed up, but that initial start in the morning takes a bit.

This morning it was 26 degrees (farenheit) and I could not get the GL1100 started at all. This is very depressing, because I really like all of the wind protection, which would allow me to ride it any time there is no snow or ice on the road.

FYI: I notice no difference between switching the petcock to 'off' overnight or leaving it on 'run'. To start the bike in the morning, I have to use the choke unless its very warm out (80's). I have run seafoam through the carbs. There was one big dose to start, and then small maintenance doses at each fill up.

What could be the culprit? Should I get the carbs cleaned out real well? I'm all ears.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.