Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My symptoms are somewhat similar to http://www.goldwingfacts.com/forums/forum1/56200-2.html. If a similar fix is all I need it would be awesome, but I'm afraid it's somewhat more complicated....

The other night I took my bike out. In the neighborhood and streets it ran perfectly. When I got to the highway (60mph) it continued great for a couple miles, then I started losing power. As it continued to worsen I pulled to the shoulder. When I downshifted and let it idle it died completely. I immediately tried to restart, but no luck. Engine wouldn't fire, kinda like on a cold morning. I srarted looking around and right behind the battery some connections looked like they were out of place. The little can looking thing that clicks when you hit the ignition (ignition solenoid?) had ridden up in it's rubber sleeve. I pushed that thing back down, went to start it, and it started and ran perfectly. Until about another 5 miles down the highway (again, 60mph) it did the same exact thing: began losing power, I pulled off, and it died when i let it idle. This time couldn't get it started. I checked the oil level, added some (I believe I overfilled it...i was having trouble reading the level through the glass). At this point, it was late, I locked the handlebars and left it.

The next day I drove back out to where I left it and it fired right up. I pulled out into traffic, eventually exited the highway. But still, about 4-5 miles through the city, I began losing power. I had to give it extra gas on takeoffs, and still it threatened to die. And then it got so bad i had to pull off into a convenience store parking lot, let it idle, and it died.

Last night I messed around with it that parkign lot. I connected it to jumper cables so that the endless cranking that was necessary to get it started wouldn't completely drain the battery. It still ran rough after starting, and died at idle. I got a light on the oil level indicator and drained out the extra oil. Didn't improve the running much. A couple weeks ago I put some heet in the gas tank. Way too much I believe. I poured the entire bottle (said to treat up to 20 gallons) into 4 gallons of gasoline. Thinking maybe weak gas was the issue due to the heet, I filled the tank up, to dilute the heet. Didn't help. I then siphoned the tank down as low as I could, then filled it back up. Still no improvement. I checked the spark plugs, they look pretty clean and dry.

Is my carbeurator jacked? Is it just a bad battery causing a weak spark? Why did it run great then die down the road two days in a row?

Thanks, ya'll.

·
Premium Member
4,379 Posts
imported post

it sounds like a fuel problem. check your pump it may be not pumping enough fuel when needed. download the service manuals from link on my signature. i understand the 1100 has mechanical pump. if the bike was parked for a long time may need some cleaning.

·
Premium Member
5,734 Posts
imported post

i think you have a spark problem ---mainly the ingnators (spelling) they go bad and show up mostly when they get warmed up. that would be my first call . after that i`d check out fuel supply , filter , pump , rust in the tank . some history would be nice too . loose or corroded connections will case this too. no juice --- no fire . good luck with it .

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

This exact same thing happened to a friend of mine last summer. Two issues on his - first one was his fuel filter looked plugged solid and the second thing was his choke cable seemed to work fine at the lever but was actually stuck because the cable was "wadded up" just under the lever. He probably had 1/3 choke all the time causing these symptoms.

·
Registered
819 Posts
imported post

I think it is a fuel delivery issue. It sounds like when you let the bike sit a while whatever is clogging the fuel system falls away from what ever it is stopping up like the screens in the tank and then when you run it the suction pulls it back into place.

First thing to check is get a strong flashlight and look in your gas tank and see if it is rusty. If it is rusty then your issue is being caused by the rust clogging your fuel system and you will need to treat your gas tank for rust and change the fuel filter and clean your carbs.

If it is not rusty check the fuel pressure on the carb side of the fuel pump. If that is good then the problem is most likely in the carbs themselves and they will need to be cleaned. If not its either the fuel pump or filter, try changing the filter first.

I also had an issue like this on my 550 where the tank vent got clogged and the engine would die after a few miles after suction built up in the tank. When you let it sit for a while air would leak in and you could run the bike for a while. I tried running the bike with the cap loosened and it ran great so I drilled a tiny hole in the cap and the problem went away.

Peter

·
Premium Member
461 Posts
imported post

I had the exact same symptoms on my 1980 1100 a couple of years ago. The problem was a hairline crack in the fusible link on the starter solenoid. It connected fine when it was cold but as the metal heated and expanded it would lose the connection. I replaced the 30A dogbone fuse with a blade fuse and it worked fine.

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Hmmm... maybe a good Honda mechanic? Seriously, you could replace 15 different things with no luck. Might want to have someone diagnose it for you before you venture off ... too much oil & too much heet = have someone look at it for you. It took me a long time to realize when I reached my limitations :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.