Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I was thinking of changing my wires and caps as it looks like mine are original, but as i look closer it appears they are integrated into the coils.. is this the case?
do i have to buy new coils and wires as a set? I swear i saw someone say they went to napa and for less than$20 got new wires..
I did already pull each end off and trimmed back 1/4 inch. wires not really feeling supple and in the greatest shape.

Thanks for your wisdom!

·
Premium Member
1,299 Posts
imported post

I was helping my fried who bought my old wing, replace his wires. He bought what is a coupling for the spark plug wires and several feet of wire from the local bike shop. you just cut the wirers about 6 inches from the coil and screw the coupling on. don't remember the cost. He also replaced the plug boots. It seemed to run alot better but the wires he got look like the melt a bit on the ends where they are spliced.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

Big Cahuna wrote:
I was helping my fried who bought my old wing, replace his wires. He bought what is a coupling for the spark plug wires and several feet of wire from the local bike shop. you just cut the wirers about 6 inches from the coil and screw the coupling on. don't remember the cost. He also replaced the plug boots. It seemed to run alot better but the wires he got look like the melt a bit on the ends where they are spliced.
I never heard of that. I will head to napa and see what they have.
thanks for the info.

·
Premium Member
987 Posts
imported post

I have been reading as much as I can about 1100 coils, and my understanding is they do come apart at the coil. My 1100 coils simply unscrew the caps, and pull on the wires, they came right out.

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Yes, you can remove the wires from your coil. Just unscrew the cap,knurled thing at the coil end of the wire. remove the spark resistor from the other end. Be sure to have solid core copper wire on hand to replace the old ones. Do not use resistor wire because the spark plug end is a resistor.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

litfuse wrote:
Yes, you can remove the wires from your coil. Just unscrew the cap,knurled thing at the coil end of the wire. remove the spark resistor from the other end. Be sure to have solid core copper wire on hand to replace the old ones. Do not use resistor wire because the spark plug end is a resistor.
ok. that is great information. i will look at it closer. also can i use any readily available plug ends to replace the current ones? or should i just reuse the ends?

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

Use 7mm copper core wire, that way they'll fit like the originals.

I'd buy new ends, they are like $5-$6 each.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Silicon Sam wrote:
Use 7mm copper core wire, that way they'll fit like the originals.

I'd buy new ends, they are like $5-$6 each.
are these dealer items only? or can i get them from napa? and thank you for the size.. i was wondering how i was going to ride the bike to the shop and get the right size without removing it... but that's the price i pay for giving up the cage... I guess i could ride my wifes pink scooter! hehehe... nawww i will buy in advance..

·
Premium Member
6,183 Posts
imported post

You may need to call around. 7mm copper core is not all that easy to find. Most places I've been to only carry resistor type carbon core crap.

Should be able to find it at places that deal with race or high performance cars.

Some on ebay, not a bad deal if you can't find it locally....

HERE

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

I just changed mine :clapper:

7mm copper core wire I got it in bulk 80" if it for $12.49 at my local auto parts store.

Boot caps are replaced with a NGK # XD05F $3.17 each or #XD05FP $4.47 each also from my local motor cycle parts store.

My GL1100I is a 1981 not sure if the boot caps are the same on all years of the 1100

hope this helps you!

Tib:cool:

Note if you grind or file the NGK raised logo off the boot cap it will be round just like the stock one, and the goldwing rubber boot that they both go through will fit better and keep water out of the sparkplug holes better too.

·
Premium Member
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
imported post

absolutely awesome! fantastic information. Thank you all!
tomorrow will hit napa! and more... whereever i need to go!

·
Premium Member
193 Posts
imported post

Yes the are you can see the part# and the ohm rating here

Attachments

·
Just me.
2,746 Posts
imported post

Just did mine on my 82, local bike shop, non honda, cost about 20 bucks for 8ft of wire and four caps. You need 6ft of wire but I got extra "just in case".

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hi Everyone...

Does anyone know the difference between the NGK XD05F spark plug boot caps and the NGK XD05FP version?

Anyone know that the "P" designates??

Tim.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

Apparently the P means that it has raised white lettering and the rubber boots. Otherwise they are electrically the same. and maybe $1 more in price.

I found the information here on Randakks link.

http://www.randakks.com/TechTip27.htm

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Hey Grayglennsr,

Thanks for the info. I am going to pick up a set of 4 and some wire and replace them on my bike. I am going to give the ignition system a good work over.

I am going to replace the plug wires, inspect the coils, change the main power feed to the coils, clean up all the connectors involved including the spark units.

Tim.

·
Premium Member
118 Posts
imported post

I found out an even more exact description. So here you go.

Part number on caps is XD05F.

X= 120 degree elbow type cap.
D= 10mm or 12mm spark plug diameter.
05= 5 K ohm.
F= for terminal stud.
P= special water proof cover.

This was posted on ebay for some of these for sale.
So there you go.

:)

·
Premium Member
2,295 Posts
imported post

Grayglennsr is "da man" !!!

:waving: Thanks!

Tim.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.