Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Here's the story, bought a standard from a guy who left it sit for minimum 5 years.

Had gas in it too. I pulled the carbs completely apart, cleaned every inch (I think) and replaced the air cutoff valves and all the o rings and gaskets. blew out the gas tank and refilled with new gas. Changed the oil and coolant although it was pretty good.

Put the whole thing back together and it cranks over but won't start....not even close like no firing at all. Checked the fuel supply and its coming out of the pump and undid a few of the float crain bowls and there's gas in the carbs. Checked the spark and it sparks at all plugs.

By the way it has only 33000 KMs on it so the compression is still up there. Valves are all working too.

Any ideas oh Goldwing gurus?

·
The Irish Crew
3,932 Posts
imported post

Before you stripped the carbs etc, you muast have tried starting it after charging the battery. What heppened, did it start then, or even splutter a bit?

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

The carbs were completely fused. Neither the choke or main butterfly valves would move. Sitting 5 years with gas will do that. Everything in the carbs was completely fused, slides needles jets etc.

I'll keep trying, a friend is looking at it later this week to try to help. I'll post the results.

·
Premium Member
1,028 Posts
imported post

Try pulling out the plugs and pouring a teaspoon full of petrol into each cylinder (putting the plug back into each cylinder as soon as the petrol goes in) and see if it will fire for a few seconds. If it fires up and then dies then you know the carbs have a major blockage somewhere.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

I shot WD40 in the carbs last night and it finally fired up. But the #1 carb must have a stuck float as it's pouring straight gas into the intakes. I'll pull them off again this weekend. But at least it runs now, won't idle of course but starts every time now.

Thanks for the feed back!

·
Premium Member
1 Posts
imported post

Beware,there may be alot of rust in the tank. My GL 1100 was stored for 5 years with half a tank of gas. Had to reline the tank.

·
Premium Member
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
imported post

Tank wasn't too bad, I put in some gas with stabalizer in it. Then sucked it out and blew it completely, mostly crap but relatively little rust. Bike was inside mostly I guess.

Still having trouble with the idle. I'm yanking the carbs (3rd time) to check that all the o-rings are intact and nothing is leaking. Then it will go in to get sinc'd.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.