Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey all, I'm new to the forum and wonder if I could get a little advice?

I have an 81 1100 interstate with 35k miles that I recently purchased. The bike runs just fine but after a few miles worth of riding theengine gets noticeably louder. this noise sounds like a rod knock but I really cant be sure. I have seen, on other boards, where folks have made an adjustment to the alternator and the noise disappeared. Problem is I have no way to know if thier noise and my noise are similar. Also, I have the Honda manual and it states that I have to remove the engine to service the alternator. Does anybody know if this "tightening the alternator" trick is worth my time especially if the engine must be removed just to try it?

I also wonder if anyone makes a gearing kit to lower the ratio any? The bike runs 55 mph @4000rpm. seems kinda high to me.

Any advice would beappreciated. also wouldn't a rod knock be constant rather than only after engine is good and warm?

·
Premium Member
612 Posts
imported post

A knock can occur when the oil thins out. You need to first have an idea if the knock is coming from the bottom end of teh engine of the head areas instead.

·
Premium Member
4,473 Posts
imported post

hey liquidplumber,

I had the same problem on my 1981 GL1100. I, too, am new to winging it. I took the engine and apart only to find out that the starter chain was hitting the inside casing.

I was told by a wise winger to first identify where the noise is coming from. Then work simple to hard. Oil to thin, gas ping, etc.

teacher

·
Premium Member
2,491 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
Hey all, I'm new to the forum and wonder if I could get a little advice?

I have an 81 1100 interstate with 35k miles that I recently purchased. The bike runs just fine but after a few miles worth of riding theengine gets noticeably louder. this noise sounds like a rod knock but I really cant be sure. I have seen, on other boards, where folks have made an adjustment to the alternator and the noise disappeared. Problem is I have no way to know if thier noise and my noise are similar. Also, I have the Honda manual and it states that I have to remove the engine to service the alternator. Does anybody know if this "tightening the alternator" trick is worth my time especially if the engine must be removed just to try it?

I also wonder if anyone makes a gearing kit to lower the ratio any? The bike runs 55 mph @4000rpm. seems kinda high to me.

Any advice would beappreciated. also wouldn't a rod knock be constant rather than only after engine is good and warm?
liquidplumber, that working with the alternator to reduce noise is a 1500 thing, your alternator is internal & nothing on it to work with to reduce noise..

A couple of things come to mind on your knocking noise--

First, those 1100's have a large internal drive chain, those chains tend to stretch out a little so tend to make a knocking noise if the engine isn't tuned perfectly. ANYTHING, like unbalanced carbs, spark plug misfire, uneven running can cause that chain to knock just like a rod or main bearing. See if balancing or cleaning the carbs will improve your noise problem.

Those 1100 engines tend to have a lot of valve noise (is there a chance your knock is light like a valve noise?)

Because of the rotational play in the trans gears there is some noise in the trans under certain conditions..

Be darn sure the engine oil isn't diluted with raw gasoline, thinned out engine oil will allow engine noises that sound like knocking.

Look for loose or missing engine mounting bolts, a loose engine can knock like crazy..

The cam belts can knock if loose, or the cam belt idlers can make a rattling/knocking noise if worn or dry of grease.

Buy a cheap mechanics stereoscope (local auto parts store, JC Whitney, Harbour Freight, etc. Those stereoscopes can really help in the pinpointing of engine noises.

Those engines were designed to run at a high RPM at speed. You really don't want to lug them or change the gear ratios very much..

Twisty

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks all for the quick response. theres nothing like having a new toy and you have to spend weeks trying to figure out why you cant play with it!

Seems like from what i have read that the carb balancing issue may be my first place to start. I will however go thru all the ideas posted here until I get to the bottom of it. Does anybody have an oil weight recommendation for that bike? I live in the south where heavyweight oil should not be an issue.

If anyone comes up with any further ideas on the knock please feel free to share.

Thanks Liquidplumber:D

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
imported post

A good multiviscosity oil for the south would be 10/40 or 20/50. When the ambient temperature is high, I recommend the 20/50.

Just another suggestion about the knocking... I tore down an engine with a hard knocking noise only to find out that it had a heavy carbon build-up on one piston. The rods, mains, pistions, pins & chain were well within tolerance.. After cleaning all the carbon, the engine ran smooth and quiet..

The bike you have has very low mileage for the year, so it tells me it sat most of it's life.... There may be sludge in the crank case, gum in the fuel and the carbs may be sticking...

You've got some work ahead of you... Do it right the first time and it won't cost you a lot of money.. Keep this board updated on your progress so we can offer more tips..

Renegade

·
Postpubescent member
36,382 Posts
imported post

liquidplumber wrote:
:waving::waving:Welcome to the Best Goldwing Site on the Internet liquidplumber!:waving::waving:

One would normally expect a rod or wrist pin knock to be present every time you ran the engine, hot or cold. I can't tell you what oil to use because that causes a long thread on the forum :)goofygrin:) but I use Delo 400 in just about everything.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the Forum Liquidplumber. This is a great site with a lot of great knowledgeable people who share their knowledge with all. I am from Charlotte and am having a problem with a knocking engine with my 83 1100. Mine is sounding bad but maybe you will comeout better that I will. :waving: :waving:

·
Premium Member
401 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

The bike you have has very low mileage for the year, so it tells me it sat most of it's life.... There may be sludge in the crank case, gum in the fuel and the carbs may be sticking...

The owners manual was well documented by the original owner and as you suggest, it does look like most of the mileage was put on in the first 3 years (28,000). The guy I bought it from didnt have it very long and he bought it from whoever had brought it out of storage.

The guy I bought it from hadbasic servicing doneby a"bike shop" but had done no major repairs to the bike. so basically I got a bike that has been brought out of a long storage with only minor "tune up" style repairs. (plugs, coolant, etc)

I know this sounds crazy but the more I ride the bike the better it seems to run, so I'm going to have the carbs sync'd by an actualhonda dealer (instead of shade tree jack of all trades),change over to a little heavier oil (20/50) and see how it goes.

I thank all of you for your advice.:D and if ya think of any other things I might need to do, please feel free to let me know. My motorcycle experience is with motocrossers, 2 and 4 stroke racing and dual sport bikes. (got 3,and love the dirt)The Goldwing is just a little bit more challenging to troubleshoot, but its lots of fun on the road!

stretrod 48, Charlotte is a hop skip and jump :jumper: maybe we can ride sometime.

·
Premium Member
2,350 Posts
imported post

May be we can get together when I get my bike running right. I have antifreeze in #4 cylinder so I have a blown gasket or worst. :cheeky1:Do you have any history on valve adjustment or timing belt?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.