Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

I got an old 81 goldwing and buddy who safetied it told me new head gaskets were needed, it idles rough. i swapped the head gaskets, it was nice getting that done but it still idles rough. one of the spk plug wires shocks me when i touch it. i tried checking for spk on all cylinders (visually)...didnt get much luck only saw some weak spk on one of them. shop told me new wires and boots are discontinued. wish i new more about spk plugs and wires, head gaskets were a piece of cake but this stuff is something i never dealt with. bike runs strong its awesome but idles shitty sometimes, well most of the time but not always. i wanna drive it to cape breton next week!

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
imported post

You may need new boots. I've heard that you're supposed to change the boots every time you change the plugs. Randakk is a reputable dealer. He will sell you the boots .... http://www.randakks.com/Ignition%20Parts.htm

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
imported post

forgot to mention i took that one boot and cut the wire back, rescrewed the boot but that wire still shocks me when i touch it. im just wishing i could see a nice solid spk on all cylinders. please help!

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

that would be great i did notice the little screw on the boot looked old, wire looked great though

·
Premium Member
720 Posts
imported post

fender316 wrote:
forgot to mention i took that one boot and cut the wire back, rescrewed the boot but that wire still shocks me when i touch it. im just wishing i could see a nice solid spk on all cylinders. please help!
If you still get a shock, you have a bad HT lead and you are going to have to replace it. Don't expect a huge bright spark at the plugs like you sometimes see on car plugs. Goldwings don't spark as intensely as you might expect. Don't forget to check the HT leads all the way up to where they go into the coils, sometimes the coils split where the lead goes in.

·
Premium Member
775 Posts
imported post

You can buy spark plug wire by the foot at most auto dealers. I actually buy it from our local Honda dealer for about $1.00 per foot. The spark plug caps are also available........

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

07Silver wrote:
fender316 wrote:
If you still get a shock, you have a bad HT lead and you are going to have to replace it. Don't expect a huge bright spark at the plugs like you sometimes see on car plugs. Goldwings don't spark as intensely as you might expect. Don't forget to check the HT leads all the way up to where they go into the coils, sometimes the coils split where the lead goes in.
As. Said before, you can get wire by the foot, you need 6' of 7mm plug wire, (4-18" pieces)

NGK makes replacement caps. I'm on a road trip and don't have the numbers on me, or remember either!
I bought both at the local mom & pop repair shop. They stocked both. @$30 total for the parts.
The bike will start easier & run better.

What are the HT leads you refer to?? Never heard that before.

·
Premium Member
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

lol i was confused with HT lead but its just terminology! i'll check the wires for sure. freakin powersports told me its discontinued. thanks everyone!

is there some way the check the resistance on the plugs? i was reading about testing ohms..

·
Still Learning
13,270 Posts
imported post

Might be discontinued by Honda but available aftermarket.
No need to check resistance at the plugs. Just replace the wires, caps & plugs. Coil check yes. There are aftermarket coils for cars available too. Check goldwingdocs.com thread on the 1100. Great wealth of info there.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.