Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys, I've been doing some reading here on my problem. I was trying to get the old girl out today for a cruise and of course the battery was dead. So I charged it pretty much all day. I just checked it and had 12.4.. at the battery, I know not great but should be enough to turn it over. It actually was turning over and nearly fired a few times, but didn't have enough juice to get it over fast enough. After a few tries, very impatiently I might add from being so eager to get back on the bike, all I am getting is a click.

I have 12.4???at the battery and with my volmeter I am reading 12.2??V at the starter terminal after the click and 0 before. Sounds like the starter siezed up. I have tried tapping it lightly but have had no luck. I thought for sure it was going to be the solenoid, but couldn't figure out why the hell I couldn't jump it lol.

So basically the site recommended that you post right away so your account doesn't get deleted, so I though I'd kill two birds with one stone. Does that sound like seized up starter to you guys? If so do you have any recommendations for a replacement? And finally does the motor have to come out or can you weasel it out? While I'm at it could a good electric shop fix up the one I have?

Thanks for any replies guys, I've learned tons from this site as this is my first bikeand I just bought her last summer. Needless to say I'm hooked and was really bummed I couldn't put a few miles on today.

Be careful out there,

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I think you may have burnt your starter from constantly cranking.
Try jumping the starter directly with a wire from the positive battery terminal to the starter pos Post.

If not cranking there you burnt the starter.

I wonder why the old girl wasnt cranking with 12.4
12.7 is what it should be but none theless shoudld crank at the voltage you had unless the amp-erage is too low.
How old is the battery and what was the voltage when you started charging her. Dont expect a dead battery to keep a charge or even accept a good charge.
is it sealed or manitanace type?
Also what typoe of oil are you running and what are atmospheric temps while you attempted to start.
has this bike run before and is this a new problem??
welcome to the forum Paul.
Jose

the motor does not need to come out to replace a starter. if your starter test p[roves a dead starter we must look into why she wasnt cranking before killing anouther starter

Stockers starters on the web has some good quality starters aat reasonable prices

·
Administrator
26,534 Posts
imported post

12.4 is low but if you get a click and 12.2 at the starter then the brushes are not contacting(worn out) or there is a broken wire internally. Usually tapping on it, sometimes a rather hard tap will get it going if it is the brushes.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imported post

Well I didn't crank it for a long period of time I know better than that. I was actually just eager to see it it was going to run or if I was going to have to pull the carbs. So every 20 mins or so I couldn't keep myself from trying. It actually did fire for a few minutes, butwasn't running too smooth and died out.I can't say I've never had starter problems. Towards the end of the season (December im Michigan) if I would start it and make a short trip to get gas or something it didnt want to engage after filling up. The starter would just free-wheel. If it sat a minute then it would work fine. It did always spin or crank though.

The battery was dead as a doornail to begin with. I'd been meaning to get a tender on it forever, but you know how those things go sometimes. It did however seem to be holding its charge quite well after getting charged back up. I can't think of the brand name on the battery at they moment but the PO said he replaced it last year (maintenance type). I'm pretty sure the starter is stuck. I tried jumping it a few different ways to no avail. (known good battery, boost on charger)

--Oil - 10-40 or 5-40 whatever the black and red honda oil is.

--Temp - a beautiful sunny 60+ degree day.

--Tap - I gave it a few short quick taps then a few harder ones while trying to crank it and while sitting

I'm fairly sure I have this one licked, but thank you guys a bunch for responding. I'm quite handy with a wrench, just new to the gl1100i. One thing I've learned through years of wrenching is a few questions to somebody with more experience than you can save you lots of headaches and lots of hours. I mainly just wanted to be sure that I wasn't overlooking another relay or something. But the starter does nothing at all when jumped. I know there is juice to the cable I arched it to make sure. I'm gonna let her sit overnight and sleep on it, then I'll tear back into it tommorrow. When I thought it was the solenoid I was shocked to hear that little bugger is $100+. I'd feel much better paying that for a starter than a freakin solenoid.

Alright, thanks again guys.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,680 Posts
imported post

Chances are the brushs are pretty well gone. To remove the starter put bike on the sidestand so that when you remove starter the gear and chain does not get too far out of place. Remove two screws ,one top close to engine houseing , other bottom at back end of starter. Then take a screw driver or pry bar and move starter to front of engine. Push down on the shifter , move the starter toward rear of motor with the gear pointing up as much as possible[ may need to force gear past houseing] Not a hard job[2 on hard scale but think your way past hard spots.

Welcome to the forum,almost forgot my manners.

·
Premium Member
40 Posts
imported post

If you are getting a reading of 12.2 v at the starter stud (at the starter) with the starter button depressed I would have to say that the brushes are not contactingn the armature. When testing at the starter stud test to the end of the stud not the cable eye as you could have a bad connection. Further if you have battery voltage to the starter stud the solinoid must be working. hope this helps, Shimmy.

·
Premium Member
2,970 Posts
imported post

I would try a fresh battry. You said dead as a door nail.
I charged mine up and no crank just the dimming of the lights. I tried a new battery because the old one would lose its charge in 3 days.
The ol wing cranks with new life.

·
Premium Member
662 Posts
imported post

muaymendez1 wrote:
I would try a fresh battry. You said dead as a door nail.
I charged mine up and no crank just the dimming of the lights. I tried a new battery because the old one would lose its charge in 3 days.
The ol wing cranks with new life.
:waving:He mentioned that he has good voltage at the starter so apparently the starter is bad.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
imported post

Just wanted to say thanks for all the replies guys, I wasn't around this weekend to do anything with the bike, but hope to get at it tommorrow sometime. I'm pretty sure it's the starter, but ill find out for sure tommorrow when i pull it out. Now I just have to find a good electrical repair shop around here.

Paul

·
Premium Member
365 Posts
imported post

Paul,

You can get a brush set from stocker starters too if you want to try and replace the brushes yourself. For the time and trouble I'd just order a new one from them and turn in your old one. They are great people to deal with, they ship fast and even have the return postage paid for your old starter.
Just my 2 cents
Rumple

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Sorry for not letting you guys in on the fix here.(been too busy riding) I fried the starter. Took it to a local repair shop and had it back in and going for 50 bucks. They were a bit wishy washy on the phone about what they actually fixed, but the owner was there when I picked it up and it turns out I melted some solder points in the starter. My fault, obviously for being way to anxious to get the old girl back up and running.

As a plus, the carbs seems to be working well. I thought I was going to have to go through them this spring, but so far so good.

Thanks for all the advice guys. I sure appreciate your responses.

Be safe out there,
Paul

·
Administrator
02 GL1800 w/Auto Pilot
60,150 Posts
imported post

Paul,

Put some Sea Foam in the gas tank and those carbs will be nice and clean in a couple of tanks of gas.

glad the starter issue is over and done with. Now you can go have fun :waving:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.