Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

People, thanks for any help you offer me with this problem. One day off of work ids one thing, but more than that and I can say good by to a good job.

Drove my baby into the garage and now 3 days later it will not start. Lights all work, as well as the gages. Need help ! Only other ride I have to get to work with, has a blown engine, and I live 20 miles from where I work

Thank you.

Jay:cussing:

·
Premium Member
590 Posts
imported post

Welcome to the best goldwing web site.

Please fill in your location details as someone in the area maybe able to assist you.

Even though all lights works, does the starter turn the engine over, have you got fuel etc

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

What exactly happens when you hit the starter button?

Does it:

A.) Turn over but not fire
B.) Turn over so agonizingly slow you can't stand it
C.) Only click from the starter solenoid while the lights dip out
D.) None of the above.

Mike

·
Premium Member
724 Posts
imported post

·
Just one of the guys
4,793 Posts
imported post

If I leave mine sit for 3 days or so and forget to turn off the GPS, she won't start. Lights will light but the battery just does not have enough power to crank it over. Have you tried to jump the battery?

·
Premium Member
4,948 Posts
imported post

As a safety precaution when either jump-starting or shorting across the solenoid is to put the bike on the center stand. Otherwise you run the risk of tipping the bike over on you if the bike is in gear or maybe shows a false neutral. I know, it sounds silly but why take a chance?

Btw, when you post a question, please put it in the new topic area rather than the RE: part. That way we can look at your question without having to back out of the thread. Us old timers have trouble remembering things.:cheeky1:

Hobie

what was the question?:grinner:

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
imported post

Hi Globetroter,

I've no way of knowing how to fill in the details that you speak of. Please tell me and I'll be glad to do so. For you now, I live in Jefferson Maine. It's about 14 miles from Augusta, The capital of Maine. Thank you.

Jay

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

Dear MDKramer,

Nothing happens when pressing the starter button. I charger the battery all yerserday at 2 amps. It showed a full charge. Kill switch is in run position. Wing is in neutral. Thank you so much for your willingness to help sir.

Jay

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

What ever information you need to help me I will gladly give. Please ask for any info you deem nessessary and I will provid.

Thank you.

Jay

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
imported post

Dear D-Rod,

I'd need to push it for half a mile to get to a steep enough incline to do that.

Thanks,

Jay

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok Gerkin, let's start at the simple things.

Start with the positive battery cable. Check all connections from the positive lead all the way to the starter. Won't be hard to follow, big red wire.

You'll come across a big, dogbone fuse in the housing of the first thing that cable hits...check to make sure it's not blown or cracked.

Check all connecitons from the battery to the starter for corrosion, clean as necessary with a brass wire brush.

Go back to the negative lead on the battery and chase it out. Check for corrosion and tight connections there as well.

Mike

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
imported post

Hey Mike. Just finished locating the fuse you spoke of. Its not blown nor cracked. Checked electrical as pper your instructions, all clean and corrosion free.

Jay

·
Premium Member
6,947 Posts
imported post

Ok, next thing to check would be your battery. Pull the caps, check for dry cells, etc... If you have a battery tester handy, give it a test. If you don't, you'll probably have to wait until tomorrow when you can take the battery down to an auto parts store and have them test it for you.

Or, if you have a Walmart and an extra $45 handy, you can grab another batter there, drop it in and see if that settles the problem for you. If that ends up not being the problem, just take the battery back to Walmart and tell them that it didn't solve your problem and you don't need it, they'll take it back.

Mike

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.