Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

My 81 GL1100 Interstate :11ltblue: has problems with the front forks.

There is a constant although not heavy oil leak and the front shocks will not hold air for more than a day or so. :?

I had new seals and backing rings installed but it stopped neither the leaking oil nor the leaking air. :whinger:

The oil is annoying but the loss of air in the shocks makes for an uncomfortable ride and much harder to handle. :(

Ideas??? :baffled:

·
Administrator
26,539 Posts
imported post

If the bushings were not replaced they may be worn enough to let the tubes be off center in the sliders.

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

It could be the bushings or just an install gone wrong. I'm afraid they need to come off and make sure everything is replaced with new. Are there any scratches or pits on the fork tubes?

·
Premium Member
4,401 Posts
imported post

I just replaced one of my seals on the '83 Aspencade with a kit called "Leak Proof Seals". You can get them from Dennis Kirk. Stood up to the name so far.:)

·
Premium Member
789 Posts
imported post

Good point SB, make sure you get good quality seals and parts.

·
Premium Member
1,398 Posts
imported post

Now see, that's interesting. I've found that NO air in my front shocks rides/handles a ton better in my 83 Interstate. It certainly has enough spring force to prevent bottoming out, as witnessed by me having to reinstall those @$%@! fork caps.

·
Premium Member
4,328 Posts
imported post

1. Pitted forks will ruin the new seals in minutes of riding, check the a5reaq down near the seals and up about 5".

2. you can put the seal in upside down, they look almost the same going in either way..double check that.

3 worn bushings last option..did you replace them?

·
Premium Member
334 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

I replaced the seals and the "backing rings". Not sure if the tubes are bad but have purchased a different set of forks on FleaBay and will rebuild them before replacing. I'm also wondering about the steering bearings. Do they go bad often? I know that shouldn't affect the air shocks, but just curious. I have also ordered an onboard compressor from and Aspencade and will install that to keep the shocks where I want them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.