Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
imported post

Hey guys,

I'd like to first say thanks a ton to everyone both in advance for this problem and for the other help I've received here.

On to the problem.

I bought this bike last year and it ran great despite a p/o hacking up the exhaust system and basically straight-piping it. A few months of trouble free operation led to astumble after hard acceleration. Basicallyit would give a burble at cruising speed until I opened the throttle up toaccelerate then it would accel fine, but when going back to cruising speed the burble comes back. What I got used to doing was just pinning it up to about 7000rpm or so and you couldpretty much feel it kick in like something was sticking (float?) and then it wouldrun like nothing was wrong again.

So I pulled the carbs off this weekend and gave them a very thorough cleaning. I didnt replace any parts of any kind just a clean and see what I end up with sort of trial. The bike fired right up and idled great. Going for a ride the clutch had no rattle whatsoever and the bike accelerated smoother than it ever has (at slow acceleration). I let it warm up and took it for a more spirited ride. It didn't rev out worth a damn. very slow from 4-6000ish then it would come on pretty much like before. So I started tinkering with my pilot jets a bit and had it accelerating a little bit better than before but not as snappy as before the carb clean. So I let it eat through a few gears and when I let off I got the same burble that I was experiencing before cleaning. Normally when this happens I can open it up and kind of "blow out" the carbs and it will run great again until I open it up to pass somebody or any type of hard acceleration, but not wide open,takes place which seems to trigger it (but not always). Well my pinning it trick didnt work this time. Trying to maintain any constantspeed would produce the miss/burble and it wouldn't go away until i started to accelerate butwhen coming back to a constantspeed it was there the whole time. So I shut the bike offfor a minute and it started back up and ran perfect at lowrpms again (below 4500 or so) with no burble at all last night or today. I haven't tried to open it up again since to see if the burble comes back, but I'm positive it will.

Wheww...ok long explanation I know, butwithout the long explanation nobodyI've tried to talk to really understands whats going on.

During the tear down and cleaning of the carbs here is what I found. Sorry no pictures, but they weresurprisingly dirty (booo seafoam). I've been through hundreds of carbs (nonwing)and although the weren't the dirtiestI've seen they had plenty oftarnish buildup. I took my time and used the clymer book just in case. The only real problem I could find was an air cutout valve. The #3 carb basically had a screen and no diaphragm and the others were there, but not in good shape. From what I understand the air cutoff only has to do with backfireon deceleration, which I have....but my main concern isthe burble I'm getting after acceleration. Can this be caused by the air cutoff in any way? The vacuumcylinders did all have some very slight discoloration, I don't want to say scuffing because they were very smooth and moved freely so I don't believe they are hanging up. I measured all the floats and they are in spec and not hanging up. Really other than the air cut off valve and the fact that I got an eye-full of carb cleaner :gunhead:, everything looked great.

I'm hoping somebody out there may have experienced a similar problem and can give me some pointers. I'm going to be ordering Randakk's overhaul kit, but before I take the carbs out for a proper refresh any insight anyone might have would be very much appreciated.

As a side note.....the bike didn't do this once this spring or last until the weather got hotter. Related? I doubt it but worth mentioning.

Thanks again guys for giving this loooong post a readany help is greatly appreciated.

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

I'd check the three or four small holes right under the throttle butterfly. Cleaning those on my carbs made a big difference.

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

I would have guessed a sticking slide from your description but I wouldn't rule out the air cut offs.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
imported post

Thanks for the ideas so far guys. A burble is a condition similar to a miss without the miss. If you heard it im sure you'd describe it as a burble as well. Say burble burbleover and over again as fast as you can and it sounds something like that only multiplied lol.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
imported post

Dave, when you say sticking slide are you referring to the vacuum cylinder? If so I've heard a rumor of a fix for that, but am unable to locate the info at the moment.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Administrator
26,986 Posts
imported post

Yes I mean the vacuum cylinders on top of the carbs. As you stated, if they slide smoothly they should be OK. They do have the springs in them I assume? Another thought is the vacuum advance. Try plugging the vacuum line to it to see if things change.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
imported post

Yeah springs are definitely in and the vacuum cylinders move freely without any hanging up. I will definitely try to plug the vacuum hose and see if it makes any difference. By the way, I called honda for air cutoff valves.....100 bucks a piece! :shock:. Thank god for Randakk's where you get a whole lot more than that for half the price. I did see some cheap ones on ebay, but I'm not trusting them. Even with basically no diaphragm in the #3 acv my backfire on downshifts and deceleration has improved tremendously with the cleaning. Now if I can get my full throttle power back and stop the strange burbling problem I might not even bother with the air cutoffs.

Thank you Dave for clarifying that the "slides" are indeed the vacuum cylinders. I gotta say i was a bit miffed about that one every time I read a post about "sticking slides".

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

if the cutoffs are shot replace them if you want good running carburetors. . JB

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
imported post

JB, I will be replacing the cutoffs. I shouldn't have said I might not mess with them because I'm going to. It doesn't seem that the cutoffs are contributing to my prior existing problem was all i was trying to say.

Paul

·
Premium Member
2,003 Posts
imported post

just my opinion having worked on quite a few of these the aircutoff chambers are like a big roundabout .There are roads to the air bleeds, pilot jets , slow speed jets and a few other roads off the main roads. If the fuel or vacuum in one carb takes the wrong turn or there road is blocked they can get lost from their buddies in the other carbsand you can spendhours trying to find them. Basically i suggesttake your timeand try to put every circuit in the carbs together one timeso they can all find their own way home and you can go play. JB

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
imported post

Thanks a bunch for your replies. I will be taking the carbs off again, hopefully this weekend, and splitting them so i can go through each one and replace everything that Randakk sends with the kit.

I'm giving some serious thought to the vacuum advance now as well. The more I think about it the more likely it seems. Does anyone know of an approximate rpm, or even a "above half throttle" or somethingthe vacuum advance normally "kicks in"? Maybe I'm thinking of this wrong, but the way I understand it under a heavy load vacuum advance is needed, and if the vacuum advance sticks in the "on" position wouldn't that cause a miss or my burble at constant cruising rpmbut go away when you crack the throttle a little bit? Then when going wide open could it not move the vacuum advance enough to dislodge it and return to normal giving me mynormal running condition back?

Food for thought anyways.

Thanks,

Paul

·
Premium Member
1,304 Posts
imported post

JBz wrote:
just my opinion having worked on quite a few of these the aircutoff chambers are like a big roundabout .There are roads to the air bleeds, pilot jets , slow speed jets and a few other roads off the main roads. If the fuel or vacuum in one carb takes the wrong turn or there road is blocked they can get lost from their buddies in the other carbsand you can spendhours trying to find them. Basically i suggesttake your timeand try to put every circuit in the carbs together one timeso they can all find their own way home and you can go play. JB
Yep. As Randakk says "everything affects everything" or words to that effect.

I think mine had the burble you talk about. Once the carbs were right, or as right as I have got them because I did mine on the cheap and didn't spend anything on them except for my time, the burble disappeared.

·
Premium Member
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
imported post

Thought I'd give you guys an update. Which is no update. I ended up working all weekend and didn't get a day to pull the carbs. The darn thing is running so much smoother that I almost hate to pull them again, but I know I need to.
Thanks for the help thus far,
Paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.