Steve Saunders Goldwing Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

'81 Goldwing Questions - New Owner

1K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Guest 
#1 ·
imported post

I just purchased a 1981 Interstate with 20K. It's basically stock and just about perfect. I have a couple of questions.

The stock rear tire is a 130/90-17. I was thinkinking of getting a taller tire and maybe a bit fatter too, as we cruise at high speeds around here. I live in Texas. Does any know what the limits are on the width and height are. Can I go to a 140/100?

Also, it really hot here and my legs get really warm from the engine heat. I have noticed that on each side of the fairing, above the cylinders, there is a blacksheet metal type piece that is directing the air flow coming from/through the radiator to the slots in the lower fairing and out. The air is obviously pretty warm as it's what just went through the radiator. My question is that with these two sheet metal deals installed, the air above the cyclinder, where my shins/knees are is some what stagnet and real warm. I was thinking of removing those metal pieces and letting the air flow freely. I am wondering if this would make myshins/knees even hotter or would the increased air flow be cooler.

Any sugestions appreciated

See less See more
#2 ·
imported post

hey orbit welcome to the forum,if you remove the wind directors from around your radiator youll find youll have a problem w/engine temp. trust me i speak from expeirence i to have an 81 gl 1100 but i removed the fairing i do mostly in town riding and i just like the feel better as for the tire size chek the past post wingdawg had the same question but i dont recall what was said

#3 ·
imported post

Those metal shields are keeping you cooler. They direct the very hot radiator air around your legs. You should try some air wings to directunheated airinto thequiet area behind the fairing. Good luck.

#5 ·
imported post

You will probably run into some problems mounting a fatter tire in the back due to clearance issues removing the tire from the rear. I have to deflate the stock size tires just to squeze them when mounting them.... I guess you could do it by removing the final drive unit with it when you change the tire, but that seems a bit drastic to me. Play with the air pressures on your rear shocks some, if you have air shocks on the rear, and you might be able to dial in the type of ride you want without changing tire size.... I know that won't help you with the speed of the bike, but I usually run around 80mph to and from work every day on a 25 mile stretch and my stock size EliteIIIs have no trouble handling it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.