Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
imported post

I have owned this 81 naked GL1100 for about a year now. Love it. It has been a complete champion up until today. I was on the highway going 70 running about 4.5 rmp, and she started cutting out...only about 5 spurts, and then picked right back up. I could feel tension from the throttle cable, and it should be noted that it has a weber 4 into 1 carb. I bought it from this guy who's father rebuilt it right before I got it, because he was "bored". Anyway I dont know to what extent they changed some wiring or other parts out (although I can see most everything has been either refurbished, or is new) Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks!

Danny

·
Premium Member
17 Posts
imported post

Well it has to be either fuel or ignition. I would start by checking/replacing fuel filter. Then check for fuel flow by disconnecting the fuel line at the carb and checking the flow rate/pressure.

On the ignition side, intermittent issues like intermittnet open circuits can be next to impossible to find until complete failure. Get a can of wd40 and spray all the electrical connections to prevent corrosion. While you are doing this check all of the connections and check the ground at the coils.

This would be a "good start" on an old machine.

Just my opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,046 Posts
imported post

Is the gas tank venting?

·
Premium Member
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
imported post

How can you tell if the tank is venting?? almost anytime I take the cap off there's a whoosh of air, if that means anything.

Hopefully this pic shows up if not here's the link to view it: http://i1137.photobucket.com/albums/n520/Jimmyateme/2011-07-22180005.jpg

Anyway fuel is definitely being delivered steadily, and readily from the tank to the fuel pump...I'd assume that if the fuel pump wasn't working correctly it would malfunction or not work at low speeds, and/or all of the time. This pic shows a cheap little plastic fuel filter similar to the one that was in the line going from the pump to the carb...seems un necessary to me. Oh and the stock fuel filter in the line going from the tank to the pump looks clean and ready. I don't know...it doesn't do it all the time or anything, could it be something in the tank or line or a carb issue? I figure it would mess up alot more if it was the carb. I have no idea

I am in the midst of spraying wd-40 too. I'm open to anymore suggestions. Maybe I go some bad gas? going to do a seafoam treatment and see what happens

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18 Posts
imported post

My first thought was the fuel filter too.
The picture of the second fuel filter is not the type of filter that I would use in my bike. The opening on the ends are too small for my liking.
It might not cause a problem but it would give increased restriction to fuel flow. At sustained highway speeds there is a fair amount of fuel flowing through that Weber.
As for the whoosh of air when removing the fuel cap I would say that was normal for a pressurized fuel tank, I always get a little whoosh too.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
imported post

Try some Seafoam in the fuel tank. It's a fairly cheap way to try to clean the fuel system.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.